Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've got a guitar with an edge pro tremolo that hasn't been used for around a decade now.
I'm trying to give it a new life but I'm also a newbie to the guitar so got a bit stuck at setting it up.

Basically I cleaned it and got a new set of elixir strings (super light 9') that I believe are the same strings the guitar had before.
Issue is the guitar's tremolo doesn't want to level out with the body. I tried loosening the springs of the trem but it still sits too deep in and all the strings are hitting the neck/pickups.
I'm not sure if I can try and tune it further withing getting the strings too tight and somehow the current pressure is not enough to lift the tremolo up. Any ideas what can be wrong?

·
Registered
263 Posts
You might try to loosen the claw screws each about a half turn, then retune and see if it starts to level out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think those were already halfway in compared to the pic before I adjusted them. How do I know if I'm not hitting the max length they are allowed to be loosened? (without seeing the whole tremolo fly away :p )

·
Vendor
26,484 Posts
First, screw the EMG down until you can actually tell what pitch those strings laying on it are. You have to be able to do a full pullup with the trem and have the strings not fret out on a pickup.

·
Registered
96 Posts
These springs may be higher than average tension, I'd try removing one. I always use just two springs with any floating bridge anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These springs may be higher than average tension, I'd try removing one. I always use just two springs with any floating bridge anyway.
Yeah but this was working before with even more tension on them. Right now I don't feel that the springs are doing much tbh, they seem pretty loose to me.
I suspect that previous strings were actually 10's and not 9's. I will try and lower the pickup and see if I can loosen the spring more before I attempt to remove a spring

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First, screw the EMG down until you can actually tell what pitch those strings laying on it are. You have to be able to do a full pullup with the trem and have the strings not fret out on a pickup.
This actually helped figuring out what's wrong. After moving down the pickup, adjusting the action even higher and loosening the spring a little I finally got the strings to make some actual sound.
That's where I realized that I'm nowhere near to tune and was probably down by two octave... there was basically no pressure on the bridge at all. Now I ended up reverting all the changes and since the trem started to bend toward the neck :D

Thanks all :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts