Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's an article on him in the new Guitar Player, pretty interesting. I think he's an amazing guitarist, but i don't care for a lot of the records he puts out. The self-titled collaboration with Greg Howe was pretty cool, and some of his recent vocal-oriented Soul/funk albums are cool too, as well as the album he did with Mr Big.
Strangely enough, in the article there's no mention at all of the fact that the reason he got tossed out of Poison was because he was banging the drummer's girlfriend :8
peace

·
Registered
247 Posts
i like Richie's albums...in fact I was fortunate enough and watched a show yesterday. The band was TIGHT, his voice wonderful, and the tunes rocked so hard. Unfortunately the attendance was small (about 500 ppl, mainly foxy dudes, and foxy dude's girlfriends like Mike Portnoy says hahahahaha)

He only used two JCM 900's and a Tele (signature) and his tone was monster.

Monster technique BTW :D

·
Registered
881 Posts
so thats why he "left" poison!

i agree, his two albums with greg howe are great. i personally like greg howe's writing better, but both are incredible players.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree, i definitely prefer Howe's tunes on those albums more. I don't really like "Tilt" as much as the other one.

I'm shocked that he was using the JCM's, as he has his own signature Cornford model that's getting rave reviews in all the mags(rags). Although maybe he didn't want to travel with a lot of gear, and those were rentals he was using.
peace

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
freedom's door said:
There's an article on him in the new Guitar Player, pretty interesting. I think he's an amazing guitarist, but i don't care for a lot of the records he puts out. The self-titled collaboration with Greg Howe was pretty cool, and some of his recent vocal-oriented Soul/funk albums are cool too, as well as the album he did with Mr Big.
Strangely enough, in the article there's no mention at all of the fact that the reason he got tossed out of Poison was because he was banging the drummer's girlfriend :8
peace
Ohh so that's why he got kicked out of poison.

Regards

André

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Richie is an amazing guitar player his first solo records are simply WOW. His work with Greg is top notch it's hard to grasp they weren't in the same room when they recorded these songs.

Regards

André

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Richie out of poison is such old news but i have to say it was a good thing. he should have never been in that band. to me, i always thought that was an insult to him. that's like replacing michael jordan (yes when he was with the bulls) with ME!..... you know what i mean.

phone rings...... hey richie, would you be interested in being in poison?

yeah right. the only reason i could see it a decent move is to get him in the public eye more. he's way too good for that stuff.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I'm so angry when I see people remembering Kotzen for his guitar records, he did that over 10 years ago! Nowadays he's a killer singer/songwriter who does a hell of a live show...and oh yeah, he's still got the chops!

I saw him last year here in Chile and I was mesmerized. Since then, he's become my favorite MUSICIAN, a huge talent sadly not recognized enough.

For those who remember his perm on his Rock Chops video, I recommend getting "Mother Heads Family Reunion", "Change" and "Get Up", my personal favorite records of his. The stuff he did with Mr. Big was also amazing.

If you want to "sample", I'd recommend the songs "Mother Head's Family Reunion", "High", "So Cold" and "Remember".

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Mother Head's Family Reunion rocks! Yeah, he's changed alot from the Varney Shredder days, he is a killer singer-songwriter nowadays, and he still plays a bada$$ guitar, but with alot more soul now. So has Greg Howe, has anyone checked out Extraction with Victor Wooten and Dennis Chambers? Cool fusion disc.

·
Registered
344 Posts
caprile said:
I'm so angry when I see people remembering Kotzen for his guitar records, he did that over 10 years ago!
Excellent point. Anything that's not new sucks. I mean, just look at the billboard charts.

:roll:

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
rgr said:
Mother Head's Family Reunion rocks! Yeah, he's changed alot from the Varney Shredder days, he is a killer singer-songwriter nowadays, and he still plays a bada$$ guitar, but with alot more soul now. So has Greg Howe, has anyone checked out Extraction with Victor Wooten and Dennis Chambers? Cool fusion disc.
The Howe, Wooten and Chambers is simply beyong belief :grin:. This fusion at its best ;).

Regards

André

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
caprile said:
I'm so angry when I see people remembering Kotzen for his guitar records, he did that over 10 years ago! Nowadays he's a killer singer/songwriter who does a hell of a live show...and oh yeah, he's still got the chops!

I saw him last year here in Chile and I was mesmerized. Since then, he's become my favorite MUSICIAN, a huge talent sadly not recognized enough.

For those who remember his perm on his Rock Chops video, I recommend getting "Mother Heads Family Reunion", "Change" and "Get Up", my personal favorite records of his. The stuff he did with Mr. Big was also amazing.

If you want to "sample", I'd recommend the songs "Mother Head's Family Reunion", "High", "So Cold" and "Remember".
His newer stuff is great too, but I am just more into instrumental music these days and his instrumental records are top notch, period!

Regards

André

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
ShredHead42 said:
Excellent point. Anything that's not new sucks. I mean, just look at the billboard charts.

:roll:
Mmm, I didn't explain myself too well. I didn't mean "shred sucks", but I meant that Richie is always being categorized as a shredder, even if he did that a long time ago. His music is undoubtely more rich and diverse these days, he has much more to offer than his fast playing.

With that in mind, if someone prefers his old material, cool, but my point is many, many people hasn't even heard his newer stuff and considers him one more Shrapnel shredder.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
caprile said:
Mmm, I didn't explain myself too well. I didn't mean "shred sucks", but I meant that Richie is always being categorized as a shredder, even if he did that a long time ago. His music is undoubtely more rich and diverse these days, he has much more to offer than his fast playing.

With that in mind, if someone prefers his old material, cool, but my point is many, many people hasn't even heard his newer stuff and considers him one more Shrapnel shredder.
I have never looked at him that way "as a shredder". To me he is an excellent fusion/rock/blues/jazz guitarist.

Regards

André

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, you guys really like that "Extraction" record by Howe? I thought it sounded stiff (which makes sense considering that each guy recorded his parts at a separate time in different studios), and i'm not a huge fan of Howe's compositions. I do like his "Ascend" album though. I'll have to give "Extraction" another listen.

For some kickass fusion, try Scott Henderson's new "Live" album. It leans in a more bluesy diredtion, but with definite fusion elements.
peace

·
Registered
344 Posts
Alright then, sorry, i thought you were trying to totally dismiss his past. I'm a huge shred fan.

the newest howe record - i thought it was Ok, it had its ups and downs, but nothing really does it for me quite like Introspection. I like ascend too, and it's funny you mention that, because the liner notes are sort of a dismissal of the album, saying it's not where he was at, etc, but a continuation of Vitalij Kuprij's High Definition. I've read in an interview or two that that's exactly what it was, requested to satisfy his Japanese fans. (I think High Def is the better of the two albums).

I'm a big neo-classical fan, and it's interesting to hear how (no pun intended) howe can step outside of his normal genre and rip it up as well or even better than many of the neo-classical rippers out there (you know... all three of them :wink: ) .

Alright, sorry to get off subject with howe, but back to kotzen, it's really cool to watch his early videos and then see where he went from there. There are SO MANY players that say 'i COULD play like that, but i choose not to,' yet there are so few that can actually back it up like Kotzen.

also, if anyone has a copy of the now Out of Print self-titled Kotezn album, I would be happy to trade something, please PM.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts