Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up at the beginning of November, i had zero intentions of restoring it however after further inspection i found that the bridge plate was slightly bent. Alot of gold plating had already started to rub off the pickup covers, tuners and other bits so i decided now would be a good time to rectify the issue. Once i had the bridge plate straightened i started buying new bits to put it back together.

So far ive re plated the entire bridge and neckplate with reasonable success, i bought new gold pickup covers and poles, new Gotoh SG381 machine heads and basically all new gold hardware from the humbucker height adjustment screws to gold plated rear cavity cover screws. I also bought a machined brass trem claw and brass screws to match.

Im having problems with the plastic bridge pickup ring as i cant re plate it due to the previous plating being rubbed off completely, i managed to re plate the neck pickup surround easily because it wasnt as worn out but the bridge pickup ring is a different story. Ive had no luck finding replacement gold pickup rings that will fit hence why im trying to re plate the existing ones.

Not much longer to go before i can re assemble but its turned out pretty well so far. Ive also polished the body using automotive cutting compound and polish, takes out alot of hairline scratches so it looks much better.

Still waiting on all the new hardware for the bridge (nuts & bolts) and im also trying to source a 3 way toggle switch surround with no success. I contacted Ibanez UK but still haven't had a reply, only a handful of things left to do so hopefully it wont take much longer....

I kept all the original worn out parts incase some mojo loving pervert wants to revert it back to standard when i sell it to them in 20+ years time :p
Typewriter Office equipment Gas Circuit component Auto part
Audio equipment Beer Font Bottle Drink
Automotive lighting Adapter Audio equipment Gas Electrical wiring
Gas Metal Auto part Fashion accessory Titanium
Rectangle Nail Food Magenta Metal
Musical instrument Guitar accessory Guitar Musical instrument accessory String instrument
Font Rectangle Badge Metal Fashion accessory
Modem Gadget Cable Rectangle Font
Rectangle Bumper Automotive lighting Tints and shades Font
Auto part Electric blue Fashion accessory Gas Metal

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yeah, those plated pu rings, hah. However, it's all gonna pop when it's done.

The Repro guy sells the original style switches, though he's out of stock for gold ones atm. Also sells the rubber grommet that goes around the knurled nut. I'd think it would be harder to get any of this old hardware from Ibanez themselves, and they'd probably charge heaps if yes.

Machined the trem block or still to do?

Cool guitars, basically the same as the Lukather model except for the bridge pu and rosewood instead of ebony. They also offered an all blacked out one - pretty rare, looks mean af.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had no real intention of going this far when i bought it but once the bridge was off i decided to take the opportunity to make it right again. The way i seen it was this guitar would have been expensive back in the day, ive looked around at old brochures and the prices come in at roughly $800 for a top spec Roadstar II, mines is a custom model according to Ibanez wiki and only 276 were ever made in transparent red so i dont know if it cost even more than that? If you factor in for inflation then $800 in 1984 vs 2022 are two very different sums of money.

I dug up some info on an old forum, a guy going by the name "Mr_Roadstar" he outlined exactly how many RS1300 models were built, ive included a screenshot of the numbers rumoured to be made. Ive no idea how he knows this or how much truth there is to it but il take a mental note of it anyway. The only real differences are switch/control layout, arched tops and a slightly bigger headstock.

As far as the RS1300 im sure they came with metal control knobs as opposed to the plastic ones, at least thats what i read on the Ibanez wiki page anyway. It states that the closest modern day equivalent to the old Tek-Grip ones are the gold Gotoh ones i bought. Link to the RS1300 page : RS1300

Theres actually a black RS1300 for sale on eBay in the UK and it looks factory fresh.

The part i need is actually a modern Ibanez part, the part number is 4PT1JSPRTV, visually it looks identical to what i have and they dont cost much money. Theres a seller in Germany who has some but due to contracts with Ibanez they cant sell outside the designated regions apparently.

Il make a start on the sustain block probably next week, il have my engineer drill out the holes with a pillar drill and probably do any final shaping or polishing myself. Its been quite a painstaking process measuring everything and sourcing new equivalent pieces but also quite educational.

Il most likely never have to do something like this again and if i ever do something i always like to do it to the best of my ability first time round. Im a bit OCD with certain things and once i get started il literally tear the world apart until i have the answers or results i want.

Thanks for the kind words :)

Attachments

·
Registered
856 Posts
They were the top-of-the line at the time, and the appointments like gold, figured veneers show that. Indeed, they were pricey. In the US, this was also exacerbated by the Yen/USD exchange rate, and by 1986, Ibanez were in trouble - the guitars being built were good quality and well spec'd, but the pricing resulted in poor sales.

Yeah, Mr_Roadstar from the Ibanez Collectors forum has posted up lots of good information. If the numbers are accurate, he may have got them from someone like Jim Donahue, who was at Hoshino USA in the day and has information about production, shipping quotas etc. from that time.

That modern grommet might do the trick. Mm, Meinl in Germany stocks all sorts of parts (oem necks even), but you have to be a dealer or the like to buy from them.

Re. the knobs, yeah, the 1000 has Sure Grip II, while the Lukather and 1300 have the metal domes, and the blacked out 1300 has the plastic Tek Grips (my 525 has these too). One distinctive thing about the latter is the pronounced radiusing of the dome, and the top is flat, marked with a circular line. Anyway, a small, pedantic and useless detail :LOL:. This photo gives a good impression of the metal knobs. The new Gotohs are close enough, for sure.

The black one on Squeebay looks excellent. Barely played (no corrosion or chewed up screws/bolts on the trem, string lock etc.).

Re. the headstock size, I don't know if there was any consistency about particular models having a bigger vs. smaller one. Eg. in the 1985 catalogue, the 525 has a large one, but my personal guitar it's the smaller one 🤷‍♀️. Have seen 1300s with a mix of large and small.

Do you have the original boomerang strap buttons?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone (y)

@Ashurbanipal I enjoy learning all these minor details so im happy your throwing out all this information, im a believer of sticking with one brand and learning it thoroughly. Joe Bonamassa would love to go guitar shopping with me as i just walk right past the Fender/Gibson wall and go straight for Ibanez :p

I did see some inconsistencies with regards to spec's on Ibanez guitars but most of you know the 80's was like the wild west for Ibanez, models and spec changed almost monthly in some cases. My RS140 and RS13000 have different size headstocks but ive no idea how consistent they were with those minor details

Unfortunately i dont have the winged strap locks on mines, ironically it seems like the first thing people changed on them back in the day and now they're really sought after because of it, Im looking to buy some as its all i really need to make the guitar completely original. The only things im changing are replacing the toggle switch knob for a gold one and using a gold whammy bar as opposed to the black one with the plastic tip but other than that its completely standard. (minus the new Gotoh tuners)

Once i find a solution for gold plating my bridge pickup ring then i can start to put it back together, i tried zinc primer as a base with no luck, i also tried conductive cavity paint which was also useless.
Ive measured my pickup rings more times than i care to remember now and i cant seem to find a viable option anywhere.

Its really trivial but i wont put the guitar back together with 1 mouldy looking pickup ring and i also wont drill any extra holes so i need to try make it work some how...

·
Registered
856 Posts
You're welcome, mate. Your project is unusually thorough, so it's useful to discuss information more fully, and the thread can act as a searchable reference in the forum, as Roadstar people do find themselves in these parts.

Eh, Joe B can keep his solid body jazz guitars :LOL: .

Catalogues are useful, for sure, but they don't tell the full story. E.g. with the RS315, catalogues have only cherry or blue burst, but several magenta also made it out of Fujigen. I couldn't say what governed the headstock size thing, whether it was more common in some years compared to others. Was the tooling one way initially then changed later on?

Repro man offers those strap buttons, don't waste your ££ on used originals, people ask stupid money for them. You're absolutely right though - everyone seems to have been taking them off back in the day, and now they are a thing. None of my guitars (which are all from that period) had them when I bought them.

If there's no solution for the stock rings, it might be good to just get some cream ones with the 2+1 height screws, which would look just fine against the red. Repro man has them. Since they're metric and oem, various US spec or other metric types won't have correctly aligning mounting holes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah i have a habit of doing complete rebuilds. Its something i picked up through restoring old cars. If i ever find a problem with something i own (especially if its old) i take it all apart and make sure everything is functioning as it should be. I wont do this with every guitar i get though, i thought just due to the potential rarity of this model i would like it to be at its best in my ownership.

I find the same thing happened with 90s Japanese sports cars (which is my main focus with automotive) Sometimes you would get a Japanese import that had a strange upholstery or weird cup holders that weren't otherwise available outside Japan. I always thought it was fascinating and i get a similar vibe from old Ibanez guitars, which are also Japanese of course.

One of the reasons im posting all this stuff is literally to archive it on the site, there's been many times a Google search for Ibanez has led me here so hopefully someone in the future will learn something from this and be able to restore or fix their own guitar because of it.

I didnt actually notice Repro man sold those strap buttons, i did have a quick look at the T screws for the Pro Rock'r but i didnt look around the website too much, il go back on and have another look. FireEagle on here said he might have some strap buttons lying around so il see how it goes. Its not hugely urgent but i would like to get them just to keep it original.

One of the problems i keep coming across is the age old metric vs imperial battle when it comes to fitment. I absolutely loathe imperial measurements :LOL:

I still have a few options left to try with regards to plating the 1 pickup ring i have left, if it becomes desperate il put something else on in the mean time. Lots of sellers with gold plated plastic pickup rings so someone out there knows how to get it done....

·
Registered
856 Posts
For cars it makes sense, unless you're doing an ev conversion (a good way to give a classic car new life, for instance). With some of this old Ibanez stuff, we're kinda forced to go oem because of the way routes are made and screw holes drilled, which don't accommodate more generic parts, unless you want to do (major) surgery.

Yes. Occasionally they'd also issue a pamphlet if there was a mid-year model release, like the RS410 and 420, but weird stuff abounds. Particularly in 1987, which is the transition between the 'Roadstar' generation of guitars and RG/S/P/R/Jem, you get unusual stuff sometimes, which often didn't make it out of Japan either. Pretty cool though.

He's got a lot of stuff, particularly for 70s guitars, which were even more specific sometimes than what came later.

Ha, don't get started on imperial. We had a thread about it not long ago.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
New hardware has been arriving the past few days, this stuff is mostly for the Pro Rock'r bridge but keen eyes will notice some extra things that aren't for the RS1300.

Ive basically measured and replaced all bolts for the bridge assembly and locking nut, ive also bought packs of humbucker ring mounting screws amongst other things.

Il probably do a separate Pro Rock'r write up on here when i finalize fit and finish of all the new items ive bought, it will include exact sizes and bolt styles used to overhaul a Pro Rock'r so all you need to do is take the list of bolts to a local hardware store or source it all yourself on eBay or similar. :)

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For cars it makes sense, unless you're doing an ev conversion (a good way to give a classic car new life, for instance). With some of this old Ibanez stuff, we're kinda forced to go oem because of the way routes are made and screw holes drilled, which don't accommodate more generic parts, unless you want to do (major) surgery.

Yes. Occasionally they'd also issue a pamphlet if there was a mid-year model release, like the RS410 and 420, but weird stuff abounds. Particularly in 1987, which is the transition between the 'Roadstar' generation of guitars and RG/S/P/R/Jem, you get unusual stuff sometimes, which often didn't make it out of Japan either. Pretty cool though.

He's got a lot of stuff, particularly for 70s guitars, which were even more specific sometimes than what came later.

Ha, don't get started on imperial. We had a thread about it not long ago.
I actually went on the Repro guitar page last night and they make the rubber grommet i need for my 3 way control switch, i thought i might aswell order 6 new bronze T screws while im at it.

I measured the pickup rings they have available but they dont correspond with what i have, im using digital vernier calipers so ive got reasonable accuracy with the measurements, my pickup rings seem to be somewhere between a modern equivalent and a vintage one. It always seems to be 1mm out here or there... Il get it sorted soon, i keep narrowing it down every time i attempt to find something so ive no doubt something will appear.

Il get started on the sustain block and also give everything a once over with the gold plate again (y)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some movement in camp.....

I actually managed to plate the scabby old pickup ring. I had tried to re plate it before using a zinc primer with gold plate but had no success. I was basically determined i was going to re plate this thing but the gold solution wasn't working. I decided to buy a copper plate solution as its way cheaper and if it worked then it would help build up the plating so it would take the gold solution better.

It actually worked! First attempt so its not 100%, call this a "proof of concept". Il rub the copper plate down a bit to smooth it out, zinc primer again, then more copper plate. The whole process has been quite educational which is largely one of the reasons i do this stuff.

If anyone needs to know, apply zinc primer, rub the primer down smooth with 1200 grit then finely polish with 2000 grit to reveal the shiny zinc particles, submerge in copper solution with the item connected to negative terminal and live terminal suspended in the solution. Be careful not to let copper particles land on the item as it will stick and build up the plating unevenly which is what ive just learned.

Onwards and upwards (y)

Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Gas Tints and shades

·
Registered
856 Posts
Epic. I was wondering whether you'd resort to fine grade sanding so the coating would stick to it. Hopefully it'll hold up for a good while.

As a related aside, in 1986, Ibanez installed so-called 'white gold' hardware on some guitars, it's a kind of brushed/matte chrome but with what looks like a very thin clear coat over the top. It's very nice, has some 'warmth' to the look, though, of course, impossible to find replacement bits nowadays in the event of needing to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts