Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried one of these with a fender customshop strat (these are a must have btw), and blew everything I've ever heard out of the water. Does anyone own one of these and would like to give some input? I'm particular interested in it's sound through a JEM. IMO it had the best gain I've ever heard. I'm ready to throw all my gear away for this little rack.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Was it the old style or the new Chameleon 2000s? I have one of the old made in USA ones as my main rig now, they are great sounding units. I like the older ones better, they don't have the "models" like the new ones, they have more EQs to set up, but are worth it. These were out way before Line 6 and the other digital modelers, and IMO, stilll blow them away. I also have an old Pro Gap preamp which is analog solid state and an old Intellifex. Starting to look like an old Rocktron ad here. I also have a new BBE 482i between the Chameleon and the power amp which makes it sound even better.

I love tubes, especially Marshall style amps, Mesa's never did it for me (I've had a Mark IV and a Rectifier), but the Chameleon makes it so easy to record and get great sounds at low volumes, it works better for me.

Roger

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the old ones. I LOVE THEM! I never tried the newer ones tho. But for DSP modeling these things sound better than anything I've ever heard. It might've been the noiseless PUs from that custom strat but wow :D

·
Registered
980 Posts
rgr said:
I have one of the old made in USA ones as my main rig now, they are great sounding units. I like the older ones better, they don't have the "models" like the new ones, they have more EQs to set up, but are worth it. These were out way before Line 6 and the other digital modelers, and IMO, stilll blow them away.

I also have a new BBE 482i between the Chameleon and the power amp which makes it sound even better.

Roger
Same here. I run a Rocktron Chameleon > BBE > Mesa 2:100. The Chameleon is AMAZING in its versatility. For the last 5 years, it's provided me the most BRUTAL distortion tones, super sweet leads, & the cleanest of cleans. What more could you want?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'm always on the market for a new preamp. I've found a chameleon for $199. It sounds like it sounds good, but it's gotta be simple to use. What's the learning curve like? (I don't like scrolling through menus, but I do like dedicated knobs.)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
They (the old ones) aren't the easiest to program, but after you do it for a while you get pretty quick at it. Figuring out the EQs is probably the toughest thing, but it really just takes an evening of experimentation. The Voodu Valves are also nice, I used to have one of those, may pick one up again.

The Chameleon 2000 seems to be set up more to compete with the PODs, etc..., it has 4 amp "models" to start with, clean, texas, british, and mega, and a more standard EQ. I like the fleixibility of the originals though.

Roger

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bpd111 said:
I'm always on the market for a new preamp. I've found a chameleon for $199. It sounds like it sounds good, but it's gotta be simple to use. What's the learning curve like? (I don't like scrolling through menus, but I do like dedicated knobs.)
:O where? If you happen to pass on it please let me know! ;)

I also heard that they downsize the amount of EQ bands you can adjust on the newer ones. Some even say it sounds completely different from thd old ones. It's scrolling menus btw, which I'm use to because I own a BOSS GT-5.

Oh and could one of you explain the BBE? thx :)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
btangel said:
:O where? If you happen to pass on it please let me know! ;)
I'm after an ADA MP1 at the moment. I found it online at Daddy's Junky Music. Type Rocktron in the search field & it should be the first item. They're located in the Northeast and they don't do mail order :(

http://www.daddys.com/content/usedgear/usedgear.shtml

P.S. I hope this post is within the rules.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts