Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this body from Patrick Sims (flaming not necessary) . I love it! I ordered on 3/7 along with another body. Recieved it 4/24. He already had it built, but it needed to be clear coated. It's virtually flawless. I love the spalted/flame maple and the one piece mahogany back is just as beautiful as the top. The back looks like it has a golden aura.
I have started assembly and am loaded it with a PAF pro neck, a, EVO in the bridge, a SD SSL5 in the middle. I have two necks to pick between to go on it (a 570 or a USA custom). With the 570 neck the sound is nice and fat even with the evo, and it sustains great. the paf pro makes that open mouth "ahh" sound that works well for soloing. I may try an ebony fretboard to see if I can add a little spank to it.

Patrick is also painting me a mahogany/basswood body in candy tangerine orange that I ordered the same day. I'll post info on it when I get it.
Needless to say, I am lovin' it.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
That is pretty obscenely cool. I always really dig Sims' work, it's really too bad you pretty much have to buy something pre-made to actually receive it. Very similar to a project idea I have, except my idea has a quilted top.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is pretty obscenely cool. I always really dig Sims' work, it's really too bad you pretty much have to buy something pre-made to actually receive it. Very similar to a project idea I have, except my idea has a quilted top.
I wouldn't say that. In my experience finishing (painting) is a lot more involved and time consuming that getting a cnc machine to cut a body. The body needed to be clear coated and polished and that's harder than milling IMO.
A quilt top would be great too. In fact, after I get the tangerine one from him, I'm thinking about a dragon burst quilt.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got a few more pics. I have a hard time getting a pic of the back that's not blurry or glared
The ribbin in the back is awesome.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
A quilt top would be great too. In fact, after I get the tangerine one from him, I'm thinking about a dragon burst quilt.
You mean like the Carvin dragon burst? I love their finishes. This is what I want, in a Jem body:

If I thought Sims would actually make that and actually deliver it to me, I would order it right now.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
You mean like the Carvin dragon burst? I love their finishes. This is what I want, in a Jem body:

If I thought Sims would actually make that and actually deliver it to me, I would order it right now.
That's not a dragon burst.

This is a Dragonburst:

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Ron's Newest project! (Added the Tangerine)

Patrick sent pics of the Tangerines Progress. BTW the neck is by Christopher Woods.
The body still needs polishing and the neck needs to be cleared.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts