Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never done anything to my rg's fretboard yet and i was wondering what is best to use

why exactly do most people use various oils on their boards? is it mostly for a cleaning application? does it make it feel like it plays faster?

i've read all kinds of different oils to use, and i wanted a fellow jemsiter's advice on what is best to use

i'm changing pickups/strings in a few days so i figured i might as well get the fretboard as well

another question.....what is the best way to do this? i mean i have my tremelo blocked atm should i just take off all the strings, condition the board, and put them back on

if i take off all the strings....doesn't that screw up the neck and can make it get twisted due to truss rod exerting force but there's no string force? I do all my own maintaince, but i'm a little apprehensive when it comes to adjusting the truss rod, i don't want to break anything

thanks to whoever can answer all my questions

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
actually i remembered i saw a great tutorial before (rich's over at ibanezrules)

he said that bore oil would be the best to use followed by lemon oil for conditioning rosewood

i can get lemon oil easilly but i'm not so sure about bore oil....do they only sell that in music stores or something? I'm kind of a picky person and my RG1570 is pretty important to me, I don't want to "skimp" out on anything if i can avoid it

i bought the guitar new, but it sat in the shop for a year so i got a really good deal on it, it is a 2004 model do you think i'll need to use 0000 grade steel wool on it, or should using my pick/elbow greese be enough to clean it and then i'd just apply the oil

how often is it reccomended to clean the fretboard with your pick/wiping it down, and how often should you use oil on it?

sorry for all the questions by i'm new at fretboard conditioning and I want to do a good job on it

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I would only use the bore oil, and then only if it needs it (The fretboard looks dried out)
Good old elbow grease goes a long way as well as the pick trick.
You definatley want to give a quick wipe down of your frets and strings after playing. (it will help with the buildup, and the strings last longer)

I would stay away from the steel wool if possible. If you do use it, I would recommend another visit to Ibanezrules and follow the directions closley.

Best of luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.