Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
102 Posts
WOW!
Always thought the Roswell was cool, but now yours looks really cool.
Could you tell us what wood you're using?

Can't wait to see her all finished.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You always pick some cool wood to work with... Looking forward to this one :D
Cheers, it takes ages to find anything over here so I buy anything unusual that I come across.

WOW!
Always thought the Roswell was cool, but now yours looks really cool.
Could you tell us what wood you're using?

Can't wait to see her all finished.
The neck is Purple Heart, Mahogany fillets and Walnut. I managed to get it really light using these timbers so I'm contemplating 8 strings now.
The body top is Hyedua and the back is from an old gnarly Elm I cut down 3 years ago.

Space... The final frontier. These are the build threads of the starship Enterprise...
Aye aye captain.

·
Banned
102 Posts
Cheers, it takes ages to find anything over here so I buy anything unusual that I come across.

The neck is Purple Heart, Mahogany fillets and Walnut. I managed to get it really light using these timbers so I'm contemplating 8 strings now.
The body top is Hyedua and the back is from an old gnarly Elm I cut down 3 years ago.

Aye aye captain.
Thank you, sir!
Very nice selection of lumber indeed.
I really hope you're going for a natural finish with maybe a matte clear.
Gold hardware would really look fantastic, or even gold on carbon fiber plates.

Edit....antiqued brass or copper would ROCK, too! Sort of a steampunk look.
Even an antique brass binding on the body bevels. You can get strips at hobby shops.
darn you Zoot, you're making me want one bad!
Might have to break out the table saw and other tools.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just nicked it with my Stanley knife when I scored the fret positions, I do it every single time :roll:
I showed the pic because the red blood gave me the idea for the inlays :)

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I just nicked it with my Stanley knife when I scored the fret positions, I do it every single time :roll:
I showed the pic because the red blood gave me the idea for the inlays :)
Sorry about the finger, but the inlays look wicked :p

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Frets look great man!

I somehow missed the pic of the headstock... very cool design and the matching inlay is brilliant :D

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Fabulous build Zoot. I really dig your choice of lumbers. I'm interested to see how well the Elm takes color/oil, especially with that killer grain pattern.

I know it's too late, but I think those dots are SCREAMING for some LED's.........especially being on a roswell!!!!

Looking forward to more updates........ Happy Easter!!!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers. I've got a tele with LED's and to be honest they look great but looking at the neck when playing does my f*****g head in.
These are just right with the reflector in the bottom and really bleep when the light catches.

I got the first coat of snake oill on last night. Forgot the battery box routing :roll:

I wish I'd got some more of this Hyedua timber now I've seen it pop.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
That back is trippy man, love that grain!

I've never heard of Hyedua before... It kind of looks like a quarter sawn Walnut veneer I have...

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Somebody asked me why the cavity control cover recess was so deep.
I was going to radius the back of the body and would have needed to radius the cover at the same time so that's the reason.
I didn't bother in the end.

Should have this geetar done soon.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts