Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, a 1990's JS1. Synergy Green.

I bought this a few weeks back. Was creamed white with some cracks/dings/nasty stains. And some previous owner had engraved some text on the backside. So I thought to do a complete makeover with the color. Came up with this synergy green color and did it. This was attempt #2. The first attempt was pretty bad on the front. This got quite ok on the front but the backside could be much better. But better this way :D

·
Registered
498 Posts
Dude! I love that color. A lot of mistakes can be fixed with wet sanding depending on what exactly the "mistake" is. But the chrome with the green and the black pickups is killer man.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like the color, does it pass the 3' test?
Not sure it would pass any test but viewing over 6ft away :D

Loved the guitar in white but had some dings/stains and some idiot had engraved some text in the back of the guitar. That's why I got it a very good price.

Satch is about muscle car colors, so I went with this synergy green metallic I got from a local automotive paint shop. Some Camaros were with that color so I thought why not. Green/Black/Chrome wouldn't be that bad, would it?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I can see some of the chips through the green. If you were to have dropped some super glue in those chips and then used a foam block with 600 grit you could have elimated the appearance of the chips.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dude! I love that color. A lot of mistakes can be fixed with wet sanding depending on what exactly the "mistake" is. But the chrome with the green and the black pickups is killer man.
Thanks, I love the colour too (though my wife hates it :D). I had a more severe mistake in front but I did sand it a bit and put some more paint on it. I'm sure I could get the rest fixed too, but ran out of paint already. Just that the paint is expensive. About 35€ a can :-(

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
For $50 I'd fix the base, scuff it down and shoot it again.
Yeah, maybe. Gotta see tomorrow morning how it feels like. Just took a photo (it's 9pm here) inside and with no editing, it looks like this. Not too bad. But the reason to justify another can would be to make a matching headstock as well, although the original looks really fine too.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think the black headstock looks fantastic with the green. If you're not breaking the bank buying a bit more paint, just consider it a cost of learning. Take it from me... I will be repainting a radius for the 3rd time 🙄... the first time was a bad clear, it didn't harden, more than likely due to my inexperience using canned lacqure. And this second paint job I gouged the face after it was assembled for couple months and I can't live with it. You'll always wish it was right. Just don't be dumb like me and mess up a good paint job after it's done! 🤦

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the black headstock looks fantastic with the green. If you're not breaking the bank buying a bit more paint, just consider it a cost of learning. Take it from me... I will be repainting a radius for the 3rd time 🙄... the first time was a bad clear, it didn't harden, more than likely due to my inexperience using canned lacqure. And this second paint job I gouged the face after it was assembled for couple months and I can't live with it. You'll always wish it was right. Just don't be dumb like me and mess up a good paint job after it's done! 🤦
Yeah, thought about leaving the neck as it is.

Just tought that it's the first time I'll be using a 2k clear coat (in a spray can) so it might be that that if I get a new can, scuff it a bit and put new paint, it's most likely I will f*** up the coating :D Should do these kinda things more often. Last time I've painted, it's been market spray cans and 1k coat that took a lifetime to dry. Some swirl attempts too, that some came up quite fine and some didn't.

However, at this point the guitar is in better shape/looks better than when I got it 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Yeah, maybe. Gotta see tomorrow morning how it feels like. Just took a photo (it's 9pm here) inside and with no editing, it looks like this. Not too bad. But the reason to justify another can would be to make a matching headstock as well, although the original looks really fine too.

View attachment 17106
Looks fantastic!! When finished you need to send a picture to Joe on Facebook or something, I think he'd love it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
That looks killer! I like it more than most the recent JS official releases.

Don't respray the headstock. It looks great this way, matches the black contrast with the pickups and keeps the real decals that way.

If it passes the 6 foot test the answer is play it on a big stage with good crowd control and no-one will notice ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks great to me! I'm not competent with paint at all, so this isn't a criticism, but it might have looked a little nicer to remove the bridge posts from the studs before painting so they'd remain chrome. Not sure whether it's possible to remove your paint afterward. In any case, I still say it looks great.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks great to me! I'm not competent with paint at all, so this isn't a criticism, but it might have looked a little nicer to remove the bridge posts from the studs before painting so they'd remain chrome. Not sure whether it's possible to remove your paint afterward. In any case, I still say it looks great.
They're just some scrap studs. The set screw is totally stuck inside in the other, no matter what. Usually I've put a fit screw if I need to paint but didn't have any of those. So no worries about these ones.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts