Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, Yea yea im the new guy, but ive jus a lil prob, i was cleaning the whole Rg today, took everything off fixed it up etc... and i was cleaning the trem and noticed the knife edges, ones kinda rusty and worn down, shud i do anything to fix it? and also the saddles look a lil different, are they disasteriously fxcked up, or is my trem alrite? + is there anything i can do to help prevent the rust build up? its even on the locking nut screws at the nut =/

heres pics of it...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/-=Slash=-/trem2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/-=Slash=-/trem1.jpg

Thx... al

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
f&%k me! when you started talking about rust, i assumed it was on some older edge bridge... that's an edge pro, so only a few years old!

advice to stop rust: don't play in the ocean.

i'd love to know how it got in that state.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so would i !! i jus play guitar like any other foe, i dont do anything to it, look after it well, i sleep with the friggen thing! but how it got that bad is beyond me its Off a RG1570L a normal edge pro... =/

·
Vendor
26,380 Posts
Most of that looks atmospheric, if you're smoking something put the guitar in the case first. If you live at the beach or beside a refinery, move. Combine some very acidic sweat and you get all kinds of corrosion.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea thats what i was thinkin too, I shud but it back in the case ALL the time wen im not using it, but im in ireland, temperate climate, nothin too crazy, but theres no way to help prevent it? like a spray, Or anything i can personally do to fix it? besides puttin it in its case of corse!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so shud i make adjustments to the knife edge or saddles? before took it off the intonation was good =/

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wow! After a few of my bridges started corroding (not like that) I started wiping them down after I was done playing. I would soak that bridge in WD-40 for a while. That will help clean off the rust. If the knife edge is worn down or chipped, then it's probably junk. My low trs trem has a chip in the edge. Thought I could file it out but no way - its hardened metal.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea i was thinkin somethin like wd-40, cause i always wiped my strings and neck after playing, but didnt do much to the trem, ill start doin that too, anything else to help?

thx....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea me too, but at least its improved..... damn my Sweat anyways! i was told it was more acidic from all the beer i drink, jus cause ur irish people asume everything is to do with drink!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well fixed it all back up today! it looks and feels like new! and looks super nice, took abotu a half hour to set the trem back up the way i like it but plays great, action is even lower than before..... heres a pic, its looks sweet..

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
i think your camera's busted - it's making your guitar look left-handed. and no-one plays guitar left-handed.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
That is alot of rust. Anyways Rich Harris has a tutorial on his site on how to properly sharpen knife edges but this was for the older knife edges that are slightly flat from the factory but this should apply to the other one. Keep the thing wiped down after you use it especially the bridge where you rest your hand alot. ive worn all the powder coat off mine but fortunately it doesnt have any pitting on the bridge and still looks nice.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya thx, i read riches tutorial, but wasnt to sure what to do for my one =/ but it seems to be better now, it looks really nice now, so im happy :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts