Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! i have been browsing around the forum lately and i can't find any post on S-series guitars! does anyone have some information on this serie? like when did ibanez start making them, various models pros-cons, personal opinions etc etc? Are they different from the Gambale model?
Actually i'm bargaining for a S540 Custom. and i'm wandering what does the 'custom' inlay stand for... Does anyone know whether it has ebony or rosewood fingerboard? is it any different from the S470 model? what about the new ones with ZR, compared to the old versions? let me know!! ! ! :) :p
bye!

·
Registered
334 Posts
The big difference between the 470 and the 540 is the tremolo system. The 470 has the Lo-TRS II and the 540 has the LoPro Edge.

I have a practically mint 470 I'm willing to let go pretty cheap. Flamed maple top, transparent green, plays like a dream. I'm trying to slim down my collection to something more manageable and this is a guitar I'll regrettably let go to a good home. I'm more of an RG collector than an S-Series kind 'o guy. Email or PM me if you want to know more.

-R

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
the newer 470s are equipped with the zr which is a really nice trem, you can get one new for around 360 and they are worth it.

I played a saber 540 with the custom inlay on it, very nice and i am looking to get one soon as well, if not a saber another rg570 or maybe a 7 string.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
They came out in '87, but had some changes in '88 that made them pretty much what they were for several years after.

In the early 90's (92?) they got an AANJ. There were several models, but the most popular were mahogany bodies (I think ALL S's were mahogany), rosewood boards, wizard (thin & flat) necks. 87-mid 90's had IBZUSA pickups by DiMarzio that were very good. The custom plaque means nothing - thousands came off the lines sporting that!

The Gambales were slimmer YET - countersunk pickup rings, AANJ before the normal S was, Lo Pro Edge.

Why not peruse the Ibanez Catalogs at www.Ibanezrules.com to see how they developed?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello again! i have some more questions on the topic! :)
i have heard the S540 used to have a ebony fingerboard! is it a prestige model then? made in Japan? How much would some expert say it's worth (in good condition)?
And what about a FGM 400? are these 2 guitar pretty similar? what would you suggest?

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
the s540s were made in japan, i an not sure about the newer ones with the zr trem.

The older ones were extermly high quality, they had wizard necks and edge trems with the ibz/dimarzio pickups.

Like said before the custom made inlay doesn't mean much but they are still great guitars.

lately on fleabay, the older 540s with the custom inlay have been priced at about 400 - 450 which i think is a little high, and apperantly so do other because most that were at that price didn't get bid on.

·
Registered
663 Posts
afaik, all 540 had rosewood fretboards. The custom made inlay doesn't mean anything, and its only purpose seems to be to fool users on auction sites ;)

If I desperately needed one, I'd pay 300-350eur max, less without case, since there are so many of them out there.

The fgm is a little more streamlined; the neck, pickup rings and the trem are recessed deeper into the body than on sabers. Everyone has to decide for himself if he likes that or not.

You may want to check out http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/index.htm to get some insight on the s/fgm series that were offered in the 90's.

·
Registered
55 Posts
S series are great guitars. A few more things to note are that the earlier S470s were Japanese and then switched over to Korean manufacture sometime in the mid nineties. And I've noticed that some of the earlier S guitars were lighter and had thinner edges than the newer ones. I have a '90 430S that is so thin and light it has to be experienced to be believed. It is at least 5 pounds lighter than my S1520. I think this light weight mahogany has the most resonant tone. "Prestige" is a newer designation which means that it was made in japan, to higher standards (well, made in Japan until this year). The older MIJ Ibanez guitars, like the 540 are in essence Prestige models, even though they don't say it. They were just made to higher standards in general back in the day.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
fuze said:
S series are great guitars. A few more things to note are that the earlier S470s were Japanese and then switched over to Korean manufacture sometime in the mid nineties. And I've noticed that some of the earlier S guitars were lighter and had thinner edges than the newer ones. I have a '90 430S that is so thin and light it has to be experienced to be believed. It is at least 5 pounds lighter than my S1520.
Wow! I've never had a sabre over 8 lbs, so that would put yours at 3 lbs! ;-)

Lightest I've ever had is my SC620 at 6.25 lbs, but that one has no trem or locknut and has plastic tuner knobs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.