Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been eyeing off a desert yellow 540S available locally, which appears to be in reasonable condition, bar a rather significant neck joint crack on the bass side of the body, and a broken switch plate. My question is, if I were to purchase the guitar, are replacement switch plates all the same for the S series, or have they varied over the years. It's probably going to be tricky to locate a vintage one if they are differing over the years.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

·
Vendor
26,498 Posts
I know the SA's had a different type plate in that it attached different [I've forgotten what was different about it as it's been too long], although the outside of the plate looked the same. I do not know if that effected any of the S models,

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The current ones listed for S series have the plate attached to the body with nuts in the cavity, does that ring true to the older ones?

·
Vendor
26,498 Posts
You could get lucky and find somebody here with a vintage s con cover missing, or you can just ask the guy to take his off and tell you. Or if you're serious go look at it ready to buy it knowing if it mounted with the nuts they're $10 and available, and if they don't they're not. ;)

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
How old is it? I can check mine if it's the same era... I need to buy a new 5-way switch for mine anyway and need to confirm what type is in there.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I don't know all of the different "generations" of S models, but mine is a '92 540S and has the type with two nuts on the inside of the cavity.

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know all of the different "generations" of S models, but mine is a '92 540S and has the type with two nuts on the inside of the cavity.
Sounds like they've retained at least a similar design config. It's a DY S series, so similar vintage to yours. Block heal from memory

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The early Sabers had just just a plastic scratch plate cover for 5 way surround mounted with screws,by 90 they had a moulded hump type surround with allen head bolts and nuts mounted from cavity. This had to do with the length of the selector lever sticking out from the body,the hump version making things neater. Both are the same shape and dimensions so retro fitting hump style should be fine if you are changing the 5 way to a new unit. However the original 5 way MAY have a shorter lever and not work with the modern hump surround. I can't be sure though as i have never actually swapped out an old 5 way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts