Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search, but there are so many different threads, I wasn't sure where to even BEGIN looking:

If I wanted to upgrade the stock INF pickups on a H-S-H configuration, what would you guys suggest?

I'm looking for a combination that is versatile, but keeping with high, bright output.

Was looking at Evo (B) and Breed (N), but don't know what I would put in the single coil, and I'm worried I would lose too many mids/low ends.

Metal style is what I NORMALLY play.

So, what works well for you S Owners out there? :)

Any suggestions? Ask any questions if you need specifics. :)

Thanks in advance, and cheers, all!

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
tone zone / air norton. Tried and true combo...

evo's are a bit thin for metal, and breeds are kinda harsh for a neck pickup (in my humble opinion).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TZ + AN for the Humbuckers. Suggestions for the SC, or just remove it, and take it out of the equation?

Or do you mean Twin TZ's for the humbuckers, and the Norton for the Single Coil?

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
love the TZ/AN humbucker suggestion as long as he's not looking to play death metal. If you do go with the TZ/AN Erase, I would use either an injector bridge (DP423) or an Air Norton-S (DP180). I've heard very good things about the ToneZone-S (DP189), but I haven't gotten to try one yet...........soon though!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
love the TZ/AN humbucker suggestion as long as he's not looking to play death metal. If you do go with the TZ/AN Erase, I would use either an injector bridge (DP423) or an Air Norton-S (DP180). I've heard very good things about the ToneZone-S (DP189), but I haven't gotten to try one yet...........soon though!!!
No Death Metal, so I'm thinking this might work for me, I just dont know if I am splitting between 1 TZ and 1 N, or 2 TZ's and 1 single coil N

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have an Air Norton (Neck) and an evolution (Bridge) in my S470 (almost the same guitar). The Evolution sounds beautiful in it, very FULL sounding leads.

The Air Norton is also very good for leads and jazz lead and chords (with the tone rolled down). But i find it flabs out on the low E and some A strings when there's distortion piled on it... maybe i just have to lower the pickup height?

This combo is very much a lead orientated setup, but i must say the evo sounds loverly in the mahogany.

Toodles Julz.

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
I did a search, but there are so many different threads, I wasn't sure where to even BEGIN looking:

If I wanted to upgrade the stock INF pickups on a H-S-H configuration, what would you guys suggest?

I'm looking for a combination that is versatile, but keeping with high, bright output.

Was looking at Evo (B) and Breed (N), but don't know what I would put in the single coil, and I'm worried I would lose too many mids/low ends.

Metal style is what I NORMALLY play.

So, what works well for you S Owners out there? :)

Any suggestions? Ask any questions if you need specifics. :)

Thanks in advance, and cheers, all!
We don't know what is sweet to your ears, only ours. That, plus you've searched and don't know where to begin--you need to let DiMarzio pick them for you. Just plug in your prefs and guitar material:
http://dimarzio.com/site/#/pickuppicker/

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We don't know what is sweet to your ears, only ours. That, plus you've searched and don't know where to begin--you need to let DiMarzio pick them for you. Just plug in your prefs and guitar material:
http://dimarzio.com/site/#/pickuppicker/
Well I feel like an idiot, and a bit of a noob to admit this, but I had been to Dimarzio's site about a hundred times before I finally noticed the "SOUND" tab, where you can actually hear demos...

Guess I have some homework to do...

·
Registered
118 Posts
May I suggest the Chopper in the middle. I just finished installing one in my Saber. Its an H-S-S configuration. I had a Tone Zone (S) in the middle and that was a big mistake I made. Its sounded like a trian wreck combined with my Air Zone Humbucker (bridge), and Air Norton (S) (neck). The Chopper is a nice compliment to the air norton and Air Zone. These three are all very close in output level and resistance, and they mesh well when playing chords and picking clean. When dirty soloing the norton is slightly fatter than the Chopper. But thats what I was looking for.
Thats my two cents.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts