Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hey everyone

First post here - I just bought a SA160 and I'd like to upgrade my pickups. I am thinking about a Mo' Joe in the bridge and maybe a Satch Track in the neck. I guess you know who my hero is.

Anyway, a DiMarzio tech sent me a wiring diagram. It says the pots have to be 500K-W (volume) and 500K-D (tone). As you can see in my pictures, I have A500K (tone) and B500K (volume). Beside the 500 being common, I'm not sure what the other letters mean.

Also, has anyone here done this upgrade?
All that the letters on your pots mean are that one of them is a logarithmic potentiometer also known as audio taper and the other is linear. They're completely fine and you don't need to change them.

By fitting the JS signature pickups you're basically changing the guitar from an HSS to HSH pickup configuration since the new neck pickup is really a single coil-sized humbucker, I think the conversion should work well with the coil tap options available in this configuration if the switch can be wired correctly, if not then you can change the switch for a 'superswitch' type 5-way switch normally fitted to HSH guitars.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hey everyone

The responses have left me with another question. It was mentioned that I may need to get another switch like a superswitch. I had a look at the stock SA160 wiring diagram and the new diagram from DiMarzio and I don't see why. however, this is not my area of knowledge at all. I was wondering if someone could clarify this.

I'd just like to know if I have to get this before I bring everything to the guitar shop.

cheers,
I only mentioned it because I didn't know what type of switch the SA160 came with, if you've looked at the standard wiring and it already has a superswitch then you don't need one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts