Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I am always for modding a guitar to make it better for you. Sometimes guitars are inspiring not just for how they feel or sound... But looks as well. I would suggest removing the old finish though. I've refinished 3 Ibanez guitars (I am in the middle of 2 of the 3) and I removed the original finish from all of them. Otherwise the guitar gets pretty thick and it adds unwanted weight. Plus the condition of yours is begging to be brought back to glory.

The examples you show are pretty awesome. I like the red version better than the green.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Sharp edges could present a little bit of a challenge. If he's careful it will work fine. Also given the paint scheme he's going with it looks like it's not a spray on finish. It looks like either a brush on or dipping situation. Which means when the coloring is finished it will need a lot of clear so it can be leveled down flat in the end. That can't be done all at once either. The clear will have to be done in about 3-4 coats per session. If he's using lacquer for clear he'd have to wait a week between clearing sessions to give the clear a chance to gas off. Otherwise it will trap the solvent and never harden... If he's using a catalyst style clear (urethane of lacquer with an accelerant) he would be able to wait about 2 days between clearing sessions.... Some times even the next day is fine epecially with urethane. As for the neck looking worn in... I don't see that making it look bad, nor do I see the headstock being a problem. It's black, black matches everything. And the pick guard could either be replaced or polished up. Since the paint styling he's going with is a bit textures and busy it won't look too "new" to make the neck look odd IMO. It will definitely be an interesting project. I am curious what approach he will use to get the black/red coloring like his example.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts