Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up first year ('87) RG550 in Road Flare Red. I always dug this model but never owned one. The finish is pretty dinged up (see pics). I was thinking of refinishing it. What would that do to the value? Would I be better off just to keep it in "as is' condition. Check out a couple of options I'm kicking around for the refin and let me know what you think. Thanks!

Hood Sleeve Textile Wood Sportswear
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory
White Hood Guitar Automotive design Guitar accessory
Hood Guitar Musical instrument Automotive lighting Guitar accessory
Guitar accessory String instrument accessory String instrument String instrument Hood

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I can do a better job at matching the Road Flare Red color. The first pass dried a little darker than anticipated. I might leave a little more red and less black. Also, the finish will pop a lot better when clear coated. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would suggest removing the old finish though. I've refinished 3 Ibanez guitars (I am in the middle of 2 of the 3) and I removed the original finish from all of them. Otherwise the guitar gets pretty thick and it adds unwanted weight. Plus the condition of yours is begging to be brought back to glory.
Definitely will strip and patch it first.
The examples you show are pretty awesome. I like the red version better than the green.
Thanks! I'm with you on the red version on this one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it seems that you’ve already started. How about some pics?
I haven't started yet. The samples are just 1'x1' panels that I use to test colors and techniques. If, I decide to keep the guitar, I'll probably end up painting it. In that case, I'll definitely include pics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts