Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading today that Petrucci´s Majesty is selling is really well I was wondering what are roughly the sale numbers wqith this high price guitars.

Majesty (6, 7 and 8 string): 100 - 200 a month worldwide ????

Let me do some mad guessing: I know that EBMM lanches every few months a limited edition in a special color, so I guess they sell this ~100 Limited E. + 200 or 300 of the regular Majesty in 3 months ?

Jem: More Majesty are sold then High end Jems ? Sound reasonable to me.

What are other "expensive" Signature Models with high volume sales in your opinon ? Holcomb, Absasi, Gilbert, B. May ?

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/john-petrucci-majesty-second-highest-selling-signature

·
Registered
780 Posts
Not surprised about Petrucci - DT is fairly active, new album has just come out, he himself did a solo one last year and LTE this year, and he has those guitar camp things as well? Presumably the sales stat also includes the Sterling versions, which, indeed, are also over 1k. EBMM itself has a rep for impeccable quality, so I guess people are ready to fork out knowing they'll get a flawless instrument. Not so much my kind of guitar, but it has some neat features and looks good, some of the paint and wood schemes they've done are smokin'.

I suspect Eddie related gear is also a good seller, maybe especially now that he has become truly deified and people have been revisiting his work with renewed enthusiasm; new 5150 amp coming out as well. I've noticed that all the old EBMM and Peavey Wolfgangs have shot up in terms of what people are asking for them since the man left us. Though, since he's no longer around, I imagine it'll dissipate somewhat with time, as the band is over and will become truly historic.

·
Super Moderator
9,727 Posts
I'm not in the market for another solid body guitar, but the Majesty kind of looks like a shovel with a neck to me, and the prices are way high. I'm sure they are comfortable and ergonomic to play, and I wouldn't refuse a gift of one, but I wouldn't buy one myself. For the price of a new Majesty I could get a used Campellone, which would be more my style :)

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
" the Majesty kind of looks like a shovel with a neck to me "

What Jim777 said. It's probably a great guitar but aesthetically not my cup of tea.
Same IMO with Les Pauls. I like the necks but don't like the looks. That's why I got the FRM150 Fireman. Same LP neck dimensions.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I'm not in the market for another solid body guitar, but the Majesty kind of looks like a shovel with a neck to me, and the prices are way high. I'm sure they are comfortable and ergonomic to play, and I wouldn't refuse a gift of one, but I wouldn't buy one myself. For the price of a new Majesty I could get a used Campellone, which would be more my style :)
I think exactly the same. I have no doubt they are amazing to play, and I really like my EBMM JP, but the Majesty is ugly.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I like a lot of guitars... mostly super strat and LP shapes, PRS double-cuts are ok too. The EBMM guitars are hideous to me, although I like Petrucci and have more respect for him as time goes by. I hope he's doing well financially from the sales!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've played Ernie Ball in stores a few times, but not a majesty. The EBs I tried had really nice necks and the majesty looks like it's really ergonomic as a design. There was nothing about them that I felt I didn't already get from my JS1000 though so didn't persuade me to part with any cash.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I like a lot of guitars... mostly super strat and LP shapes, PRS double-cuts are ok too. The EBMM guitars are hideous to me, although I like Petrucci and have more respect for him as time goes by. I hope he's doing well financially from the sales!
Yeah, I have to agree. I haven't tried out a Majesty and I don't doubt the quality, but I don't personally care for the looks.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've played Ernie Ball in stores a few times, but not a majesty. The EBs I tried had really nice necks and the majesty looks like it's really ergonomic as a design. There was nothing about them that I felt I didn't already get from my JS1000 though so didn't persuade me to part with any cash.
I had a JS1000. Feel wise, the Majesty is a noticeable step up (but that could be me). It's like comparing a sports car with an expensive sports car.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I didn’t see where Brian May Guitars were on the list in the article. I have had a Burns, Guild, BMG model and none of them were really great sounding. The Guild sounded the best out of those three, likely because of the SD Burns copy pickups. The magnets are different than the Burns, or the BMG. I wound up getting a custom replica of the John Page guitar that he made for May and never completed.

The pickups are Addesons with Burns monikered pickup covers. Sounds right, played right. Still uses motorcycle valve springs in the trem. A replica down to the exact neck profile and mis matched screws. Mine is made out of real Honduran Mahogany and Ebony Board though. So instrument grade woods instead of block board made from pine, and painted white oak.

It was my dream guitar since I was a kid. The first guitar I ever wanted. Had to wait until I was 45 to get it though. Neck is one and one quarter inches at the zero fret.

I also have a Les Paul and a Premium Jem, Jem Jr., and Jem Jr SP.

·
Registered
861 Posts
It may well be. I've only tried other EBMM models, not the top end Majesty. But I'm happy enough with what I have. 😄
Makes sense... I have over a dozen guitars and I'm pretty much done buying. I might get something that really strikes me as being different, but there's plenty I don't even play (they hang as decoration).

·
Registered
447 Posts
Makes sense... I have over a dozen guitars and I'm pretty much done buying. I might get something that really strikes me as being different, but there's plenty I don't even play (they hang as decoration).
The idea that you might have enough guitars is a fairly controversial statement on an internet gear forum. :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
^^ Ain't that the truth. Though it may also depend on how long since the last one was bought ;).

I didn’t see where Brian May Guitars were on the list in the article. I have had a Burns, Guild, BMG model and none of them were really great sounding. The Guild sounded the best out of those three, likely because of the SD Burns copy pickups. The magnets are different than the Burns, or the BMG. I wound up getting a custom replica of the John Page guitar that he made for May and never completed.

The pickups are Addesons with Burns monikered pickup covers. Sounds right, played right. Still uses motorcycle valve springs in the trem. A replica down to the exact neck profile and mis matched screws. Mine is made out of real Honduran Mahogany and Ebony Board though. So instrument grade woods instead of block board made from pine, and painted white oak.

It was my dream guitar since I was a kid. The first guitar I ever wanted. Had to wait until I was 45 to get it though. Neck is one and one quarter inches at the zero fret.

I also have a Les Paul and a Premium Jem, Jem Jr., and Jem Jr SP.
I think most people are happy with the regular BMGs. An affordable Red Special has been unobtainium till 20 years ago when BM partnered in Burns; Guild stuff was limited and always expensive, only a few people would go as far as making their own; and luthiers (rightly) charge big money for an accurate/handmade version (K'z was no doubt completely swamped when he was the only guy in town).

I imagine the BMGs sell pretty well – Queen + guest vocalist have been touring pretty regularly, Brian is on the socials, and we had the film recently, so it's an active enterprise. Though Freddie's gone and John is absent, the band maintains popularity. Stuff like the roller bridge/knife trem, fat neck, accurate pickups, plywood etc. is for the real nerds, and they're prepared to pay to get that, generally. Now that most of the information is also available, it's never been easier to build one.

·
Registered
447 Posts
^^ Ain't that the truth. Though it may also depend on how long since the last one was bought ;).

I think most people are happy with the regular BMGs. An affordable Red Special has been unobtainium till 20 years ago when BM partnered in Burns; Guild stuff was limited and always expensive, only a few people would go as far as making their own; and luthiers (rightly) charge big money for an accurate/handmade version (K'z was no doubt completely swamped when he was the only guy in town).

I imagine the BMGs sell pretty well – Queen + guest vocalist have been touring pretty regularly, Brian is on the socials, and we had the film recently, so it's an active enterprise. Though Freddie's gone and John is absent, the band maintains popularity. Stuff like the roller bridge/knife trem, fat neck, accurate pickups, plywood etc. is for the real nerds, and they're prepared to pay to get that, generally. Now that most of the information is also available, it's never been easier to build one.
Paying extra for plywood???!

·
Registered
780 Posts
^^ Yeah. The original guitar is quite a complex build - two layers of plywood, and an oak central section to mount the neck and trem/bridge, then veneered in mahogany. So, quite labour intensive (have to cut and laminate the ply sections together first etc.), hence the cost of a more accurate replica.

Easier to understand with a pic. You can see the two sandwiched sections, neck mortise with the bottom oak section, and the additional oak block for mounting the trem and bridge. The spots of filler cover slot head screws which hold the two plywood sections together.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts