Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very happy with the Seymour Duncan SH-4 in the bridge of my USA Custom (Basswood body).
I'm wondering if I'll get somewhat the similar sound in an Ibanez S-470 as the S models has Mahogany body's. The old V2 stock pickups are just dreadful in comparison.

·
Registered
242 Posts
It will sound somewhat similar.. but it will be different. I think mahogany creates a warmer darker sound? But you might want to get clarification on that.

Toodles!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
IMO for what it's worth it will make as big a change as it did with your first change, The wood does make a difference but I believe that most of the tone characteristics are down to the pup's. Like with you first pup switch - big difference you didn't change any wood.

I think wood is more nuances in sound and pups are what make the big difference.

·
Registered
317 Posts
There's a guy on Youtube, Scotbis, he has recorded tons of videos showing some Duncans and DiMarzios in mahogany, including the JB.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Also each guitar is different, I have 3 guitars: my Ibanez RG570 (basswood) is the darkest, my Schecter hellraiser (mahogany) is in the middle, and my Ibanez RGA121 (mahogany/maple cap) is the brightest.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies. Turns out my trade for the S guitar will fall through so it wont happen this time around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts