Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by all the tele builds around here I decided I needed a tele too!

So far it's a Rosewood body, Flame Maple top, Rosewood, Flame Maple neck with a Hipshot bridge and 3x3 tuners...

Anyone else see Bigfoot :razz:

Here's the glue sides all ready to get glued...

Here's where the neck is at... top and sides trued up, truss rod channel routed, and ears glued on

And here's a pic of all my clamps 8O

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the body blank shaped down and sanded last night...

The top glue join came out perfect, best one yet; thank you Mr. Jointer :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the Sasquatch side better :p

I got a nice big piece of Birdseye Maple Yesterday so I made some fretboards... One of them is about to get glued on the Squatch neck...

Made four fretboards and should have enough for at least 5 necks left :D

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I've been drooling over Birdeye Maple lately... The board I got (73" x 7.5" x 1.5") is covered with eyes like that fretboard. Should make some awesome necks...

I was actually tempted to shelve the Rosewood neck for this one and use the Birdeye :p

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yeah I've been drooling over Birdeye Maple lately... The board I got (73" x 7.5" x 1.5") is covered with eyes like that fretboard. Should make some awesome necks...

I was actually tempted to shelve the Rosewood neck for this one and use the Birdeye :p
Mind you, if it wasnt for the gorgeous flame on the top, I would have tried to convince you to do it. :razz:

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The neck is all ready for shaping... Once that's done I can route the neck pocket, align the bridge and route the pickup cavities... Busy weekend ahead 8O

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pickup routes are done, got the neck pocket routed and the neck fitted, and the bridge located and mounting screw holes set...

I was planning on carving out a belly cut, but I decided not to mess with the Squatch. It's comfortable enough sitting down anyway which is how I play almost all the time anyway....

I'm not putting the volume knob there, I guess it moved on me :p

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Blimey I missed one again, I cant keep up with you Crazy Horse.
I love Tele's and this is a beauty .

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its got a wolfgang vibe
Yes it does, it's like a cross between a Wolfgang and a Tele. I rounded off the back and made the lower bout a bit smaller and increased the fretboard access there also... I really like the shape that's turned out...

Blimey I missed one again, I cant keep up with you Crazy Horse.
I love Tele's and this is a beauty .
Thanks Zoot! I always loved the shape and wanted a Heavy Metal version since I was a kid :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Headstock cap is on and I got the neck shaped today. The Rosewood feels like silk after only sanding to 320 grit...

Added a little more upper fret access...

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Looking awesome! I have to try a scarf joint and volute for one of the future builds.
Thanks man! Yeah... if you're going to do an angled headstock it will save a lot of wood...

I drilled the holes for the string-thru and ferrules and as promised I took some pics along the way to show the new technique I learned to keep them straight...

Lock down the plate on the drill press so it doesn't move and use two-sided tape to stick a flat piece of wood or MDF to it.

Using the same drill bit (I use 1/8") you'll be going through the body with and drill a hole in the MDF...

Use a punch to mark the topside holes in the body, it helps the bit start straight. It is also extremely important on every hole you drill to go painfully slow as the drill bit starts into the wood and watch very closely to make sure the bit doesn't move off center. If it does back the bit off and go even slower until the bit starts a straight hole.

Drill the top holes about 1/2 way through the body....

Now put a tight fitting pin (I used the end of a roofing nail) in the hole that you drilled through the MDF

Flip the body over and insert the pin on the other side into the first hole in the front of the body. The hole you drilled and the drill bit should be perfectly aligned if you haven't moved the base at all...

Drill the holes on the back through to the topside holes by placing each topside hole over the pin to line them up...

Change to the correct size bit for the ferrules you are using and realign the tip of the bit with the pin...

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Drill the holes the same way you drilled though the body, I use the blue tape as a depth stop here...

If you did a good job the holes should be evenly spaced and lined up pretty good...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts