Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
i've just bought a RGA-121 in Violin Flat, and i have some questions about it.
The guitar feels great, and sounds very good (although pickups will be replaced soon) but i've noticed that in some spots of the maple top, there are like grain indentations that are difficult to see, but that are noticeable when you touch them. I've been told in the shop where i bought it, that these things are normal in satin finishes, but i would like anybody to confirm this.

Now, a couple of pics :) :

·
Registered
858 Posts
I just bought a RGA121 in Natural from an internet store two weeks ago and there are no "grain indentations" in it on the maple top anywhere. It's nice and smooth.

I'm not sure what your definition of a noticeable grain indentation is, but I can tell you those store bozos are delusional if they are saying there will be grain indentations in the finish because it is satin.

I've done a couple of guitar finishes myself and, whether satin or gloss, they will be smooth (satin of course is not as smooth as gloss) IF the wood underneath has been properly sanded. If there are indentations in yours then that presumes that Ibanez didn't sand the wood smooth and just sprayed the satin clear anyway. Some brands of guitars these days do this and I think it's cool. For a definitive answer on the Ibanez finish policy you could drop an email to Rich at ibanezrules.com since he sees way more of these than I do and likely knows their finish policy. But if you like the guitar, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. you get to play it before you buy it so it may have minor dents from being played by others. ;)
that finish on a non-figure maple top looks so cool. like some piece of antique furniture on that pbs show that goes for 100,000 dollars! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the answers.
Well, it's not that bad. I love the guitar so i will keep it ;)
Now i'm curious about how cleaning this kind of finish. It seems that a cotton cloth can do the job, but i'm not sure if there's something better.

germX : that guitar is beautiful. I wouldn't mind having another RGA121 in Natural Flat :D :D :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.