Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may know Satch used to use a Marshall 30th Anniversary until signing a contract with Peavey for the new Peavey JSX "following his specs" which are in fact pretty similar to the Marshalls.

Wanting to a/b them I thought it would be good to compare his last 2 DVDs.

- Live in SF (2001) - using the Marshall
- G-3 (2003) - using the Peavey

I found the Peavey very thin and without pounch comparing it to the Marshall very rich and fat.

...... money money money money ......

Have you A/B them with your own guitar?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I had a couple of the blue Tolex Marshall 6100 heads and definitely liked them more than any of the JSXs that I've played through. Of course, the 6100 is the only Marshall I've ever had that I actually liked. The Peavey isn't a bad amp once you spend some time with it, but I definltely liked the Marshall better.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let's say something between 850 and 900 is ok.

Marshall started the 6100 with EL34s and later changed the model switching to 5881 (6L6).

Other than this they are exactly the same.

Nethless to say how easy is to make the 6100LM run with EL34s again for a tech and that's VERY desirable IMHO

I am in love with this amp.... I just can't stop playing it.....

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
rufes said:
As you may know Satch used to use a Marshall 30th Anniversary until signing a contract with Peavey for the new Peavey JSX "following his specs" which are in fact pretty similar to the Marshalls.

Wanting to a/b them I thought it would be good to compare his last 2 DVDs.

I found the Peavey very thin and without pounch comparing it to the Marshall very rich and fat.

...... money money money money ......

Have you A/B them with your own guitar?
i have found that peavey cabs are crap. So if you played the jsx through a peavey cab it was more than likly the cab . PLay a jsx through a marshall 1960s with celestion g-12t7s in it or a good cab with vintage 30s . You have a smoking rig . The jsx be thin, i doubt that, i know when i played the xxx it was super hot and chuncky. Also the dampaning switch may have been set to tight which would also make it sound a bit thinner.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jra2217 said:
i have found that peavey cabs are crap. So if you played the jsx through a peavey cab it was more than likly the cab . PLay a jsx through a marshall 1960s with celestion g-12t7s in it or a good cab with vintage 30s . You have a smoking rig . The jsx be thin, i doubt that, i know when i played the xxx it was super hot and chuncky. Also the dampaning switch may have been set to tight which would also make it sound a bit thinner.
I am just comparing according to what I hear listening Satch. I guess he uses the same speakers....

On the other hand, I am not saying it is a bad amp or saying it sounds bad per-se. I am saying it sounds worst than the Marshall.

However, this is just my opinion. It's ok if you spent 1K on it :)

·
Registered
962 Posts
jra2217 said:
Dude, no way man.

I have a JSX, and for a while I played though a Marshall 1960B cab. No midrange, thin highs, and a woofy, muddy low end.

I traded it in for a Peavey XXX cab, it made a MASSIVE difference. Tight bass, defined chords, and a sweet midrange, and clean, fat highs.

The construction quality of the cab itself is top notch, its several notches above the shoddy Marshall cabinet.

If you like the Marshall cabinet, thats cool. No problems with that.

But when you start knockin one of the most solid cabs Ive ever come across, then we got problems.

This cab sounds GREAT with the JSX, Peavey amps always sound best with Peavey cabs, in my experience. They make a hell of a good cab, at least the XXX, JSX, 5150, and Classic 412's are.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
^^ The Marshall 1960B cabinet is crap if you don't replace the speakers. The G12M75 are exactly as you described them, no midrange, a lot of lows but often muddy and unbalanced mid and highs. They do a good 80s distorted tone, but that is it. I put Classic Leads in mine and there is simply no comparison.

I haven't played the Peavey cabinets, but I do not see them as being as bad as a cabinet with G12M75s in it.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
rufes said:
Let's say something between 850 and 900 is ok.

Marshall started the 6100 with EL34s and later changed the model switching to 5881 (6L6).

Other than this they are exactly the same.

Nethless to say how easy is to make the 6100LM run with EL34s again for a tech and that's VERY desirable IMHO

I am in love with this amp.... I just can't stop playing it.....
There are 6100 with 5881s too. The LM denominates a change o the lead channel to make it more modern sounding.

·
Registered
446 Posts
rufes said:

I thought that on several occasions on Live in SF, his tone was way too bassy, and I much preferred the Peavey's in the G3 DVD. Having said that, I saw a video clip of Surfing With The Alien a few days ago, played with Marshalls, and it sounded absolutely amazing, better then the Peavey's on the G3 DVD.

And to stray even further from the original question, the Peavey amps used on the Live in Anaheim webcast sounded even better imo.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Gex said:
Dude, no way man.

I have a JSX, and for a while I played though a Marshall 1960B cab. No midrange, thin highs, and a woofy, muddy low end.

I traded it in for a Peavey XXX cab, it made a MASSIVE difference. Tight bass, defined chords, and a sweet midrange, and clean, fat highs.

The construction quality of the cab itself is top notch, its several notches above the shoddy Marshall cabinet.

If you like the Marshall cabinet, thats cool. No problems with that.

But when you start knockin one of the most solid cabs Ive ever come across, then we got problems.

This cab sounds GREAT with the JSX, Peavey amps always sound best with Peavey cabs, in my experience. They make a hell of a good cab, at least the XXX, JSX, 5150, and Classic 412's are.
i know the cabs are built well , i didn't care much for the speakers though . As for marshall cabs build they aren't built as well as the peaveys are but i like the celestion g12t75 speakers . I'd never buy a marshall cab , i'd buy a cab from avatar speakers with the g12t7s or with vintage 30/hellotone 60s
www.avatarspeakers.com make some of the best cabs around .

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Frankly, I didn't think EITHER live video had particularly good tone, for Joe. Generally, from what bootlegs I've heard, I prefer his earlier live tone to anything he's done since. I've got this GREAT bootleg of Echoes with probably the best tone of his career, IMO - wish I knew where it was from, lol, but it sounds like it's about "Time Machine" era.

-D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.