Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it like?
Has he time to sign whatever you bring? time to talk?
or just rapidly being passed through for autographs and pictures?
i´m thinking about buying it for the november-show in vienna, but don´t know what to expect
maybe you could share your experiences

thanx

·
Registered
426 Posts
Personally all I got was a quick photo with him, I managed to chat with Stu Hamm for a while but I was pretty disappointed as a record label basically hogged him the whole time while he talked to one of their new bands who were a bunch of drunken arrogant pricks who had no idea who he was.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Personally all I got was a quick photo with him, I managed to chat with Stu Hamm for a while but I was pretty disappointed as a record label basically hogged him the whole time while he talked to one of their new bands who were a bunch of drunken arrogant pricks who had no idea who he was.
That sucks man, Stu's great ...

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
My mother in law got me one of those and we were lucky we have only 9 people in the room so we had time for many questions. However, with that being said i would have rather had the cash spent on it to buy gear/guitar with.

Only real perk was the front and center seats that came with the package.

·
Registered
580 Posts
how much is the upgrade? he's coming to florida in a few months, so i was thinking of doing that. i've seen him 6 or 7 times, but it's been several years since i have. thought i might break the bank on it. :)

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
$300 to get your picture taken with him? You can get your picture taken with me for $150, then to complete the experience I'll ignore you and hang out with some drunken arrogant pricks.

·
Registered
580 Posts
wow. $300 is a lot of cash for that. tix are around $45 ... think i'll just be going to the show! i "met" him at a meet/greet autograph thing on Crystal Planet tour and just had to wait in line for an hour.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I did it a couple years ago, I thought it was a good time. I took my wife and son, he remembered my son during the show afterwords and played a little solo just for him at the front of the stage.

·
Registered
580 Posts
yeah, for the orlando show the tickets were $45 and the meet/greet was $260. little too steep for me. tempting, and if i were going to drop the money, he's in my top 5 i'd be willing to spend it on. i'll save my money and as someone else said, buy gear. been thinking of pickup up a cheap bass. $200 should get me there.

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
Anyone else remember when people did free (or maybe you had to buy a cd) meet and greets as promotion instead of gouging fans?

$200 and no rub and tug, or medical diagnosis. Hell, he can at least fix your computer or change your strings.

Sorry guys I think this is a bigger act of whoredom than signature picks/strings/cables/straps/what have you.

·
Registered
580 Posts
yeah, good point elcid. on crystal planet JS did a in-store promotion at (I think it was) Tower Records - I lived in Atlanta then. a friend and i waited in line an hour or so, and he was signing stuff. really nice guy. i have the Not of This Earth CD with the original artwork and i got him to sign that. he was remarking on the shirt he had on in the picture on the back, etc.

i lived in Augusta GA briefly in the early 1990s and Steve Morse (he's originally from there) did a little free "seminar" kinda deal at the instrument store there. talked about his experiences in the music business and played guitar, etc. there was probably only 12 or 15 people that were there. awesome, and free. then drive over and watched the gig which was incredible too.

with JS, I wonder if part of it is that having it controlled by that company allows him to do something more intimate than the show. otherwise would he just show up at a guitar center and do something? he just doesn't seem like the "cash in" kinda guy to me. but it is a business. and nowadays the $45 for the show ticket is pretty cheap. easy to pay double and triple that nowadays.

·
Vendor
26,484 Posts
This is very wide spread now. Almost every act offers a meet and greet. Why not? They make tons on money doing them and the only expense to those that don't want to pay is the loss of possible tickets in the first couple rows [which sucks but that's just the way it is]. If you want to spend an hour with them 6-10 on one, you pay for it. Everybody knows you don't HAVE to for JS or many others. They're very willing to see you in the bus line, but you get a minute or 2 at best before the manager moves you along [unless you've really got the artist's attention]. If you wanted to meet Eddie or some of the really big names, you've got no other option but, know somebody, or pay somebody.

More power to them. If the well oiled want to spend the money why shouldn't they offer the package?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I don't remember it being that expensive, but then again those were better times. There were maybe ten or so people, Joe hung out with us for about an hour and after that we got to check out his guitars and stage setup. Then we got to watch Paul gilbert do his sound check and chill with him for a few. It was worth it, made the show special for me. I have never done anything like that before and probably won't ever again, but Joe has been my favorite since somebody sold me a Not of this Earth tape for two buck out in front of the local Circle K when I was a kid. He needed some smokes, and it changed the way I listened to music for the rest of my life. So yeah it can be worth it. Just don't act like a douche and tell your old lady not to hit on him.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I don't know man. I've met Satriani 4 times, had every single one of his albums signed, one of my guitars signed, talked to him for a while each and every time...and it was all free.

Would I pay to meet someone that I honestly have little to no chance of meeting otherwise (Jimmy Page, Paul McCartney, etc)? Probably, if it was a reasonable price. But for someone like Satriani who does in-store appearances all the time and is extremely accessible to his fans...nah.

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
Personally I don't fault the fans for spending the money, but I think it's a sh*t thing for a "real" artist to do. If your Lady Gaga or someone, fine be as hollow as the songs your team write for you, but when you've had a long career and aren't hurting financially, why gouge the people who put you there.

Also to me, a story about meeting someone just isn't as interesting when it involves paying instead of just happening to bump into them somewhere.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Personally I don't fault the fans for spending the money, but I think it's a sh*t thing for a "real" artist to do. If your Lady Gaga or someone, fine be as hollow as the songs your team write for you, but when you've had a long career and aren't hurting financially, why gouge the people who put you there.

Also to me, a story about meeting someone just isn't as interesting when it involves paying instead of just happening to bump into them somewhere.
Keep in mind Cid that this whole meet and greet thing is optional and no one is holding a gun to your fat ass to do it (btw, the fat ass remark was meant in a nice way). Most everyone here knows quite well that Joe or Steve will talk to the fans outside the venue for free. I could give 2 schitz if Joe is getting money from the fans for doing these things. If he's getting a cut for doing it, more power to him and more cash for him.

Jimmy:smile:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts