Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Wow, I can't believe Joe actually seud them! :eek:

I don't know what to think of this. I mean, I don't think Coldplay actually ripped Joe off. I just think it's a coincidence.

It's very much possible that Coldplay had never even heard the Satch song at the time they wrote Viva la vida. I mean suppose that is the case, then do they deserve to be sued? I don't think so.

I think it's kind of a waste of time to sue them. Joe could spend the time he's putting into this whole thing in countless better ways.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
I hope Joe wins. There is absolutely no way that those losers from coldplay didn't know the song. Personally, I think that coldplay should give money to Joe for messing up such a great song.

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
It doesn't matter whether they meant to do it or not. It seems like there are enough notes per measure that are similar to warrant looking at it closely. Ignorance on a subject is never an excuse...

If I had never heard of Twister, and created a game called Switter using the colors orange-pink-purple-green, which then went on to make a lot of money, I'll bet the manufactures would sue me to take my product off the market or to get a percentage. :)

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
That does make sense in a way, DT666. But I dunno... I mean, I think that Joe doesn't have to sue Coldplay for money concerns. I don't think the presence of the Coldplay song will negatively affect sales of his works in any way. So I don't see the point of sueing, really.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I hope he wins too. I listened to the you tube stuff when jemsiters brought it up months ago and it's impossible to ignore the similarities.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I agree. Also, why now since we've known about this for months and while Joe's been on a tour, I doubt anyone wouldn't mention it to him or that he totally missed the Coldplay promo commercials.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I hope Joe wins, and he knows music so I think he would know if he has a chance or not. I don't think it's about money for him, I think it's about integrity. He is a musician that has worked his ass off to make his career last. In the face of musical styles that are at odds with his for the good part of the last 20 years too. I would be pretty pissed at whoever used my melodies without my permission, I wouldn't be upset about money or anything, just that I wrote it I should be acknowledged for doing so. A very large pop act has no right to steal or ignorantly use it to make a hit that is used in advertising and whatnot without any mention of the song's actually writer.

Some people I showed the similarities to said "It's not very similar," I said, "buy a hearing aid."

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Joe is a nice dude. That's why I'm surprised to hear of this sue. I just strikes me as kind of a childish thing.

It can't be about money, so what is it about?
It's not about money but the principle of the thing! why should those a$$ wipes from cold play get a grammy or a nomination on something they stole...?!? I'd be fumming too if someone had stolen my music and got undeserved acknowledgement!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
That does make sense in a way, DT666. But I dunno... I mean, I think that Joe doesn't have to sue Coldplay for money concerns. I don't think the presence of the Coldplay song will negatively affect sales of his works in any way. So I don't see the point of sueing, really.
I own a candle/bath and body company and we make everything ourselves. About five years ago we named a scent "Krispy Kreme Doughnut" because that's what we thought it smelled like. Within 2/3 months we were contacted by their attorneys with a cease and desist order for using their trademarked name. We were also told that any variation (Crispy Creme-Crisped Cream-Crisp and Creamy) would result in legal action. Due to the alleged relation to their products and trademarks. We weren't even making a dent in their monetary bottom line, but business is business. They weren't interested in licensing the name to us, so we changed it to Fresh Glazed Doughnut. I was surprised they even found us because at that point we were relatively small compared to what was going on globally candle wise.

·
Registered
816 Posts
What ever happened to people talking out their problems? It seems like these days whenever something comes up, they go straight to where the money is at.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts