Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we know, Joe Satriani sued Coldplay for stealing the melody from "If I Could Fly" to put into "Viva La Vida".

That was some time ago.

Now Coldplay is bringing a tour to Australia.

Not only is Viva La Vida going to be performed, but the tour is actually called the "Viva La Vida Tour".

Did Coldplay win?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Court cases take a bit longer than that. Then appeals etc.

BTW Satch isn't sueing over the title VLV, just the melody notes.

Furthermore, even if they lose, Coldplay could still perform whatever they want, as long as they pay royalties. AFAIK Satch is asking for (damages and) all income from their recording and performance, NOT cease and desist.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Viva La Vida was already in the public domain and nominated for a Grammy when Joe took legal action. As there is no ruling yet, things will carry on like normal. Coldplay could even win the Grammy :wink:

Viva La Vida is the name of Coldpay's album (and title track)....they can use it anywhere they like :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Iz has some similarity, but I think Satriani would loose in court. It's a tight so I guess they settled for some amount of money/rights, but no were near plagiarism..

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
Musical copyright issues are notoriously difficult to push forwards. The defendant always has the upper hand with the burden of proof on the prosecution.

There's little reason for the 'no comment' situation if Coldplay didn't settle, it would have been in the band's interests to let the case go forwards if they weren't worried.

The other thing to remember is that it only needs to sound similar for there to be a very good case, the fact that folks are saying it sounds similar is pretty much all that is needed!

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Just my 2 cents because I saw this awhile ago and it goes into the music theory of the lawsuit.

It's broken down into a couple parts but basically, the theory behind it shows that Satch had the right to sue over the songs.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Yeah, this was settled out of court (allegedly ;)).

I played the original Satriani song to a few friends of mine who were into Coldplay back at the time, and even THEY mentioned it was totally uncanny how similar the Coldplay song was.

While it was flattering and all, I only wish they'd ripped off a better Satriani song. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts