Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, sorry if this seems like a really stupid question, i'm sure it is. I reciently picked up one of the guitar grimoire books so I can learn more scales and transpose the into power tab. However, no where in the book does it actually tell you how to read the charts. It doesnt help being left handed because I look at everything backwards :p

so, how do you read these?

·
Registered
494 Posts
kind of like tab... in the picture you posted for example,position 6(V1) the dark line is your guitars nut. fret markers are the same. for example, the far left string (vertical line)would be (in tab) 2,3,5 on the low e string.2,3,5, on the a string.2,4,5 on the d string and so on. it will look upside down to you yhough... the string values are the same though e,a,d,g,b,e. or b,e,a,d,g,b,e... wink wink..lol. hope this helps.if not, let me know. i have been using these books for years

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Interesting...I never realized that charts like that would be backwards for lefties. Just another hurdle for the 10% minority.

Btw, I'm left-handed but play guitar right-handed.

·
Registered
540 Posts
i remeber teaching someone left handed and i photocopied the scales on acetate and reversed them on the copy machine, think that worked out ok ; just in case any of you guys are interested :)

ps i love the grimoire scale books had them for years (in the older style )

·
Registered
858 Posts
velocity said:
kind of like tab... in the picture you posted for example,position 6(V1) the dark line is your guitars nut. fret markers are the same. for example, the far left string (vertical line)would be (in tab) 2,3,5 on the low e string.2,3,5, on the a string.2,4,5 on the d string and so on. it will look upside down to you yhough... the string values are the same though e,a,d,g,b,e. or b,e,a,d,g,b,e... wink wink..lol. hope this helps.if not, let me know. i have been using these books for years
Uhhh...position 6 (VI) would make them 3,4,6 and not 2,3,5. How long have you been using these books again? :roll:

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These books are great, but tabbing them out in power tab is the best since you can actually hear what it sounds like.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've got 2 of the Grimoire books and for a long time I just practiced them as exercises!

Total lameness if you ask me.

I got some advice from a killer player and friend of mine. Your best bet is to learn the modes for the sound that they represent.

For example the Lydian tonality should sound something like your standard open position E major chord just shifted up to 2 frets above. Strum it. You'll hear the Lydian tonality. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Chris From Singapore. said:
I've got 2 of the Grimoire books and for a long time I just practiced them as exercises!

Total lameness if you ask me.

I got some advice from a killer player and friend of mine. Your best bet is to learn the modes for the sound that they represent.

For example the Lydian tonality should sound something like your standard open position E major chord just shifted up to 2 frets above. Strum it. You'll hear the Lydian tonality. :)
Do you mean shifting the E major chord two frets up or playing a lydian mode two frets above the E major chord. If you mean the former which lydian mode are you saying has a tonality of an E major chord? and if you mean the former that makes the lydian mode a F# Lydian. That would make it the key of C# major and there is no E chord in that key at all.

·
Registered
462 Posts
southpaw_lefty said:
I believe Chris is talking about playing this chord:

Which sounds Lydian because of the #4 & 5 against the E.
Yup what he said. Sorry for the confusion, I'm not all that great in my modal theory, I just go about it by learning the tonality of the mode itself. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts