Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys :D
I kept this little project a secret for about a week. Due to having college and hardly any time, i worked on it On and Off, eventually I achieved the goal I was aiming for which frets 12 to 22 :)
Now, I can't figure out how to scallop the rest of the frets...do i use a bigger file? the one I got was barely any good for the 12th fret, rest of the frets were fine :)

Any help would be appreciated, If you guys want to see the guitar then just post a reply because I don't really want to go through the hassle of putting up pic's if no-one wants to see them :p haha
(btw its not PERFECT, just a little test thingy)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Looks quite good! Let me know how you like it. I'd be interested to hear your comments. I'm interested in trying this myself to reduce hand fatigue.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good work. don't forget though that you will need to re-lacquer the scalloped frets seeing as it's maple. ;)
How exactly do i do that?

@Andrewgosline

I really like it :) Its different, gives it a different vibe when playing !
I'm gonna scallop the rest of the fretboard in the near future, thats how much i like it :)

Thanks for all the comments!

·
Registered
493 Posts
How exactly do i do that?

@Andrewgosline

I really like it :) Its different, gives it a different vibe when playing !
I'm gonna scallop the rest of the fretboard in the near future, thats how much i like it :)

Thanks for all the comments!
Hi, you can either use varnish, tru-oil or even tung oil. My personal preferrence is tru-oil.

Once again nice job,regards
Nelson

·
Registered
479 Posts
OK so when you have a few more hours playing, please let me know how much you enjoy the scallop. I've read on numerous occasions that you are forced to develop a lighter touch when playing with a scalloped fretboard, which generally leads to less hand fatigue. I have some rsi in both wrists, so I am always looking for ways to maximize playing comfort. I've found that thinner ibanez necks with tall frets and light strings do a good job, but I would be interested to try a scalloped neck. Too bad they are so expensive and/or labour intensive!

enjoy and let me know!

A

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup, you don't need to fret hard, pretty light :)
Its really fun to play on, very different, I mean i've barely touched my ibanez's haha
I've noticed how it changes the tone of the note a bit, its not out of intonation - not in that sense haha - just sounds more smooth and malmsteen ish :)

What guitar are you wanting to scallop? make sure its not the best guitar you have if you haven't done it before! =O
I mean I could do it for you for a small-ish fee or i could sell you my strat as it is?
feel free to pm me with an offer and what not :)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha thanks Sirshredsalot :)
Yeh i was worrying whether i was going to mess it up :O but after the frst fret i did, i was pretty confident i could do it :)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just thought I would let everyone know, I have been scalloping the whole fretboard and I am on my last fret :D

I've been doing this on and off and its taken me around 24 hours altogether or something :p haha
Still have to sand down all the frets so they are smooth :)

Anyone know where I can get Tru oil from? In a shop near me, Price is a bit steep online £7+ for a little bottle =|

Anyway, I've gone quite deep on the frets :D haha malmsteen style!

Thinking of spraying it Yellow, but I don't really want to mess the guitar up just in case it turns out crap :(

Any suggestions?

PICS TOMORROW !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts