Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many other people are guilty of this...

I have a few cases for my CDs. I don't like to leave them in my car because having my CDs stolen would suck. So instead, I take a few CDs out from time to time and leave them in my car... as I change out CDs, I never seem to get them back into the house in their cases, and they end up getting scratched to hell.

My question is, has anyone tried using those scratch removers for your CDs? If so, does it degrade the CD quality at all?

I'm worried my neglegence will cost me billions in CD recovery costs.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...and yes, I know the title is a typo. I was in deep thought and wretched anguish over my losses (plus I ate something that didn't agree with my stomache and I've spent quite a lot of time in the restroom this morning, thank you very much).

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
As long as the CD isn't skipping, don't bother.

If the CD IS skipping, give it a whirl, it can't make it any worse. I've tried it on a few CD's that started skipping and it worked just fine.

HOWEVER, DO NOT try these things on DVD's, even if it as stated you can use them on DVD's. I now have a nice "Get Over It" coaster thanks to one of those things.

The DVD would lock from time to time (read error) at one point in the movie. Not always, just every so often and usually simply jumping a few seconds ahead of that point it would work. I tried a DVD scratch remover and now the DVD won't play at all.

CD's are much better at ignoring small scratches though, so these removers usually work fine on CD's. All it really does is polish out the scratch.

Again, if the CD works fine, no matter how scratched it looks, don't bother. It won't sound any better, it's not a record so nothing touches the surface and scratches that either aren't very deep, and/or aren't parallel to the track will simply be ignored by the laser.

Mic

·
Registered
334 Posts
Most stores that sell used records and/or DVDs have a special machine that uses rubbing alcohol as a lubricant. It polishes the scratches out of the CD/DVD casing and makes them good as new. It can even be done to data CDs/DVDs and writable/re-writable CD/DVDs.

A good friend of mine works at a record store here in Orlando and I stop by to see him all the time to have my discs resurfaced because I'm careless with them a lot of the time - I leave them floating around in the car, etc. and they get scratched.

-R

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had one of those refurbisher things that you can buy, i forget what theyre called, but they work pretty good. Also you can find somewhere that sells used cds and ask them to refurbish your cd for you, places like down in the valley charge you 2 dollars and your cd comes back brand new.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Knightmeir said:
I've got one of those electric motors that moves my seat back and forth... it grinds the hell out of some of the CDs if I'm stupid enough to let them slip down there.

Arhg.
dude no way! you have to watch it man! i keep a pleather 20-cd case in my car at all times. when i'm tired of those tunes i bring them inside into their cases and change out with a different set of 20.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
It's all just fine abrasives that polish out scratches. You can also use car polish or toothpaste. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. The "copy on PC" trick usually works unless the disc is REALLY bad.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I always keep my CDs in their cases, and handle them carefully. I'm pretty anal about things- I even have twenty-some year old guitar magazines, and catalogs, that look new.

The only time I've had to deal with a scratched CD, is on the rare occasion I buy something used. They still usually play fine, unless I use my little thirty dollar boom box.

I really don't think you could actually do much(anything?) to degrade the sound, as they are digital, and have almost infinite lifespans. It's not like a tape, where it would wear out relatively quickly, or lose sound quality by trying to clean them. But then, I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone actually trying to clean a cassette tape! :lol:

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
I don't leave CDs in the car as it's not my car (my parents car, which the whole family uses lol) but even then I tend to use burned copies for the car or taking with me anywhere, leaving the originals for home use. Yeah, I'm weird that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts