Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am going to have the fancy Stealth Plus sustainer system in my lovely DBK, BUT I want the Plus version which is a singlecoil rather than the crappy driver pickup/mini humbucker monstrosity.

Problem is, where can I get a JEM scratchplate with SSH configuration??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
GuitarAkuma said:
Problem is, where can I get a JEM scratchplate with SSH configuration??
Lot's of places actually.

Looking right up at the collection of banners on this site...

http://www.pickguardparadise.com/

http://home.comcast.net/~pickguards/

Nice Stainless Steel Metal :)
http://www.preciousmetalproducts.co.uk/ibanez_1.htm

Most folks would do a jem pickguard for you in whatever pickup config you want. All you gotta do is ask, and possibly a little tracing of your existing pickguard just for fits sake.

Christopher.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
Oh yeah and another thing, if you want something done right, it's best to avoid some of the 3bay folks. My friend ordered one, and it looked homemade. Total crap IMHO.

They are cheap but if you want something done right spend a bit more dough and you'll get it. Check out the links I posted above, these folks really know what they are doing.

Especially Precious Metal Products :)
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
26,380 Posts
Precious Metal Products made me 2 guards for a JEM. The first had the neck pocket so pinched it wouldn't fit over a neck, AND every scrrew hole was off, the further away from center, the further they were off.

The second guard was made to replace the first botched job. Only half the screw holes didn't line up, but they completely missed drilling one of them at all.

Not a place I would ever recomend for quality work. YMMV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
Does Pickguard Paradise do any non-fancy stuff? I'm just looking for a plain old 3-ply white pickguard.

And a related question: will a single coil drop right into a humbucker routing? On my FP, it looks like the routing for the tabs on the humbucker baseplate are too small for a (Dimarzio) single coil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
You do know that the Sustainiac stealth plus does come in a humbucker size too. It has a dummy coil and the sustainer coild. You wouldn't need to replace the pickguard then. Joshua
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
have to agree with rich here i was highly unimpressed with precious metals , they didnt bother to get in touch with me , seemed unsure of what they atually offered and in the end i said no and went to ekg, hearing richs comments i made the right choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
Jeez I retract my recommendation on precious metals, thanks for the insight Rich!
I have a friend who ordered one with no problems though. I guess every company has their glitches, better to stick with the recommendations of the majority. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Rich said:
Precious Metal Products made me 2 guards for a JEM. The first had the neck pocket so pinched it wouldn't fit over a neck, AND every scrrew hole was off, the further away from center, the further they were off.

The second guard was made to replace the first botched job. Only half the screw holes didn't line up, but they completely missed drilling one of them at all.

Not a place I would ever recomend for quality work. YMMV.
Yeah, the one they sent me didn't fit the trem rout. It was made to small and the trem would get hung up on it. Screw holes were off too. And to top things off the first one they shipped (or claimed to have) never arrived. It took 4 months for them to reply to my emails and send another one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
JEM7BRMR said:
Yeah, the one they sent me didn't fit the trem rout. It was made to small and the trem would get hung up on it. Screw holes were off too. And to top things off the first one they shipped (or claimed to have) never arrived. It took 4 months for them to reply to my emails and send another one.
they have been to customer service school ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeh but does with humbucker version work the same as the singlecoil version? i.e. when you switch it off the driver pickup becomes a normal active singlecoil.

*breaking news* The manic music web site does not have the stealth plus version you talk about their only humbucker version uses a mini humbucker as the normal pick exactly what I want to avoid! So where do you get that info??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,514 Posts
I ordered a pickguard from Pickguard Paradise a while ago, and I must say that Tom does great work, you'll be happy with their pickguards. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
816 Posts
GuitarAkuma said:
Yeh but does with humbucker version work the same as the singlecoil version? i.e. when you switch it off the driver pickup becomes a normal active singlecoil.

*breaking news* The manic music web site does not have the stealth plus version you talk about their only humbucker version uses a mini humbucker as the normal pick exactly what I want to avoid! So where do you get that info??
Why do you want to avoid the humbucker version? It's exactly like the singlecoil one, but the added cover on the humbucker version is just a dummy(meaning it just covers of the gap).

Direct from the Sustainiac website:

"Stealth PLUS : For the two-humbucker option, we provide the driver on a full-size humbucker baseplate. There is a "dummy" cover attached next to the driver to fill up the pickup cavity so things look normal."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
I concur. The humbucker "sized" is identical to the single coil "sized" units. There is no difference between sc and hb except you save $$$$ on a new pickguard. Joshua
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Call me Mr Stupid then! I suppose it would help if my eyes worked! I was told by the local music shop they would have to put a mini humbucker in, which I would rather avoid at ANY COST! So I shall point out that I won't need it and have a nice Stealth Plus with dummy humbucker cover thanks!
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top