Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I've already asked my questions regarding nut replacement at some local stores and forums but noone seems to be able to answer my questions.

I have a fender classic 50's strat (mex) with a plastic nut I wish to swap for a brass or bone one. Pre-slotted would be nice but it's not absolutely necessary since i plan to copy my existing nut. The action on this guitar is fine it's just that brass and/or bone sounds a lot better.

I've already located a store here in Holland (that's Holland in Europe for all you americans out there ;) ) that sells replacement nuts for stratocasters they have several sizes: 41,5 mm , 42 mm and 43 mm.

The guitar's neck is 41mm wide at the nut and has a 7,25'' radius according to the fender site, but when i measure it with a ruler the nut is 42mm wide. I'm not sure if I need a 41mm, a 41,5mm or a 42 mm nut.

Below are my questions:

- What size nut do i need?
- How do I remove the old nut? I removed the old nut on my other strat with a hammer and a screwdriver but that one was made of bone, the plastic nut seems to be more fragile than bone and I need it as a reference for cutting the new nut
- Do i have to use the thick or the thin (watery) superglue?

I hope someone can help me...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
it's a job that i'd recommend you have a shop do if no ones ever shown you how to do it, the width of the nut itself should be a good indicator of what size you need. Also some things about the materials you're thinking about using. Brass has a tendancy to grab strings during bending (thus throwing your guitar out of tune.) You can get a good nut made out of graphite, but if you're dead set on brass you can always rub a pencil in the string slots. If you really want to do it yourself i'd recommend a few dabs of plain old elmers glue. You may need to replace the nut some time in the future and the last thing you want it to do is be a big chore. As far as removing the nut you may want to just try and get under there with a knife blade. If the nut was put in with a gentle glue like it should have been it should pop out with some gentle prying. I would recomend getting a preslotted nut, unless you have lots of experience working with brass and have the proper tools to cut the slots it's going to be a big job. Like I said earlier unless you don't trust your local shop with the job I'd recommend having them handle it.
good luck,
Chris

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chris!

Thanx for the tips, i have replaced a bone nut on my home made YJM strat with a brass one. The brass one was pre cut an pre grooved.

I'm seriously considering what you are saying but other than some light vibration with the bar i hardly use the trem. Brass gives some added sustain and sounds nicer than bone when playing open chords.

Graphite is an option i have not considered. I was told that a graphite nut needs to be replaced fairly often. (not sure if that's true) but that it sounds quite warm compared to tusk, bone or brass...

Do you have any experience with graphite nuts? (lol that sounds dubious ;) )

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I opted for a Graphtech 5000 preslotted stratocaster nut (Graphite) and I ordered the Graphtech String Guides aswell.

Shouldn't change the sound THAT much but at least it's better than knowing i have a plastic nut on my main axe.

I'm currently considering the Graphtech saddles aswell, not sure if I like the look of them though. In about 2 or 3 months i'll buy some fat 50's pickups.

I'll make some pictures after i'm done...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok the nut and stringguide are in there:

the sound has definitely improved a little,a little of the harshness seems to be gone. But the best thing is definitely the tuningsatbility when using the tremelo. 100% improved (almost perfect now).

next purchase will be the ferraglide saddles and after that i'll put some kinmans in there...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts