Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's a rhetorical question by the way. For ages I've really liked watching (and attempting to play parts of...) Paul's videos. Really like what he does and think that generally he seems to have a nice attitude to things. I also think his playing is pretty soulful.

Anyway, to get to the point I've been wanting to a fixed bridge Ibanez. Being used to Jems etc I thought a PGM would be nice. Ended up with a slightly bastardised PGM200 from the 'bay that I've been putting together from odd bits. Again, I digress. Really like the guitar and I love 80's cheese (music and guitars there) so I'm happy that I've got a guitar that I can gig with and not have to worry about the floyd.

Now...

Thought, "I know, I'll actually download some of his songs since I've got a signature guitar". Now then, Jesus Christ! This guy can play. Listening to any of his Racer X and Mr Big stuff really blows me away. I can put Vai and Satch to one side and say "well, yeah they're great players, but they're not really moving me". I listen to Paul Gilbert and he's shredding and making it sound soulful and catchy - basically I've now found out a player I want to emulate. Now I know that sounds really lame : like I'm saying " he's my hero" etc etc, but it's really odd (at least for me) to suddenly discover there's someone out there that's playing the kind of music that's been in my head for ages. In fact thinking about it he's been playing that music for a long time and (as far as I can see) doing a pretty good job of it.

Now to be honest I'm not sure if I've got much of point, but the weird thing for me is that I've always been able to pick holes in what other guitarists. It's easy for me to say something to myself along the lines of "Well Vai's good, but he doesn't rock like AC/DC did", then I can say "Well, I like AC/DC but..." Anyway, the real point is here that I'm surprised more by the fact that I don't feel like nit picking Paul Gilbert. Weird. I'm finding the whole thing quite a boost for me since it seams to have motivated me to learn more stuff rather than just pick holes in what other people do.

In the end I'm just really surprised that I've managed to miss the whole Paul Gilbert thing for so long. Seems funny that he's not a lot more well known than he is. Well, at least outside of Japan...

Listening to more PG stuff makes me a little apprehensive about turning up to a gig with a PGM200... especially given my current lack of skill...

Sorry for the brain dump ;)
-Bob

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Hey, i just discovered him last year, and now, several cds later i can say honestly, hes my favorite guy 300%

(100% for playing, 100% for writing, and 100% for cool attitude towards stuff)

Had the privilege of seeing him live last week, check the "tours" forum for my minireview... it was awesome :D

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
You know what guys I've heard of him for many years but really listen to him only for the past few days... Tell you guys what I begin to put Vai's, malmsteen and satch cd's beside. And there are now two guys I love listening to... that's mattias ia eklundh and Paul gilbert

·
Registered
541 Posts
yea I know that feeling. I went to his spaceship one concert and he was just too cool. His playing is just damn good, clean, soulful, and he has one of the best bends ever. I like his a lot as a person too. humorous, funny and really easy going u know. I love the rawness in his tone too. Raw, unprocessed, and just kick ass distortion in your face. :) Gotta love sir pablo.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe it's my lack of musical sufistication; but I find it much easier to relate to Paul Gilbert's playing than I do Vai or Satch. I've allways thought of Vai and Satch as Jazzers - PG seems more grass roots rock to me.

As other guitarists have said to me in the past "you'll get to a point where your musical understanding gets better, and all of a sudden you'll find that you really like jazz". Dunno if that's true, but I do wonder if one day I'll listen to Vai or Satch and think "Woah, that's a funky melody" and listed to it as music, rather than now where I listen to most of their music as "cool things to play on the guitar". Funny thing though. Listening to Vai's early stuff with Dave Lee Roth is much more fun to listen to and is essentially "Rock". The band context does seem help PG, but I'm wondering again if it's just my inexperienced ears the make PG a nicer listen to than Vai.

But then, what do I know?

-Bob

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
btangel said:
yea I know that feeling. I went to his spaceship one concert and he was just too cool. His playing is just damn good, clean, soulful, and he has one of the best bends ever. I like his a lot as a person too. humorous, funny and really easy going u know. I love the rawness in his tone too. Raw, unprocessed, and just kick ass distortion in your face. :) Gotta love sir pablo.
Yeah his tone is great it was like ... so real. I like Steve Vai but his tone is not really that satisfying but Gilbert is.. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Paul Gilbert is the one who got me into technical guitar playing. When I first started I was just another one of those jabronis who'd go into a guitar store and chug a few simple metallica riffs but he showed me that there's not only more that you can do with the guitar but that it's not that difficult to learn. Even to this day, his instructional videos are by far the easiest to understand and relate to my playing.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
zEr0 said:
I hate to be the only one but isn't there anyone else out there who think's he is just another pure techincian with weak musical talent? :?

Anyway, glad you like it ;)
I'd recommend listening to his solo albums...very well crafted rock and yes...POP. I agree, the early Racer X was pure shred, but now he's an all around guy

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
zEr0 said:
I hate to be the only one but isn't there anyone else out there who think's he is just another pure techincian with weak musical talent? :?

Anyway, glad you like it ;)
I dont know, im at a happy point where short, effective rock songs with major chords and awesome solos (both stupid fast and beautiful slow) appeal to me...

Yeah, old Racer X records are shredorama, but his solo stuff is just really nice music...

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
tTz said:
I've only seen/heard Space Ship One, but that was amazing. Love the guy's website too, with all the photoshops etc. He's a nutter.
I think it's cool that he does and maintains his own website :). That he hasn't gotten in trouble with some of those photoshop pics :lol:.

Regards

André

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
I don't know if anyone here has heard his cover of 2 become 1 from the Spice Girls, but it kills. Especially when he throws in the solo from Stairway to Heaven. Later he fits Sweet Leaf in it too.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.