Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lowered the action on my guitar (ax7221) and then set the intonation (I had to bring the saddles back a lot! Factory spec must have set it to ****). Anyways, now the the intonation is set, and when I test it on the 12th fret (harmonic and then fretted note) I get a buzz when I press the string down. I wanted to set the action a little lower but obviously the buzz shouldn't be there. Any ideas on how I can get rid of it so I can proceed the setup on my guitar?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
how did you lower the action on your guitar?

truss rod. saddles. nut. frets. string gauge.

all come into play when setting up action.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just lowered the saddles mainly. I can't do anything with the nut. Its only the middle few strings that do it. Its not a big problem but thought maybe someone had been in my situation and knew how to fix it. Thanks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Try reading over the tech setup section of jemsite. Most of it (thankfully!) won't apply if you haven't got a Floyd. Floyds are a PITA to set up (but they stay there when you're done!). Buzzing at the high frets is usually the fault of the bridge height. In the middle, you might want to adjust the truss rod to get more of a bow in the neck. Trouble is some guitars seem more sensitive than others. My '91 RG takes to truss rod adjustment rather well. I have an AANJ RG that I need to flex the neck on before it the adjustment will take.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts