Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
just recently acquired a RG2570EX prestige rg, my first prestige ibanez model actually.

The tremolo is in kinda like a bad rusted condition.

any idea how to remove the rust ? it looks as though as the rust has eaten into the metal part through the paint. the saddle part where the strings lie on.

ive soaked some of the rusty parts in WD-40 for 1 day. looks like WD-40 kinda eats abit of the metal parts.
is it advisiable to just submerge the whole treme in wd 40?

below are the pictures of the RG

i got it for $250 but its in pretty bad condition, so i polished it off and cleaned it thoroughly. the only problem is rusty parts.
would the saddle on the tremelo be sold seperately?
and the thumb screws on the top locking nut
is it possible to buy them?

one more thing
when i press the 4th fret on the G string, it buzzes and dies off.
could it be caused by the neck being bowed and not slightly reliefed?

if the first 5 frets buzz, is it a neck problem nut problem?

Please help me on this
thank you guys!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I don't believe that anythign short of resurfacing the trem and saddles will solve the problem.This is easier said than done.

For now, I would recommend not submerging the trem into anything.Just try and use medium chrome/brass cleaners and equivalents to try and inhibit the damage from getting worse. Buying a new trem will cost you over $200.00

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Wow, the Edge Pro hasn't even been around that long and you have one that's in that kind of shape. Kind of makes you wonder about the previous owner....especially when I've seen Ibanez guitars with Lo Pros and Original Edges in better shape. Of course, since you got it for $250 then it's not too bad of a thing. The rest of the guitar doesn't look to be in bad shape. If you can't clean up the trem then I would suggest just replacing it. I believe that Rich sells Edge Pros and I know that you can get one from an Ibanez dealer. If that's all you have to replace then it's still a fantastic deal on a Prestige guitar.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it was actually more worse than this.
managed to get it to look more acceptable after 5hrs of polishing
and yet still the rust are still stubborn.

Gonna order some parts from rich.

the only corroded and bad part is the saddles, which can be replaced i think.

does the edge pro have an intonation tool like the edge n lopro series?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts