Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I'm having a small problem with my Ibanez RGT42DXFM in Trans lavender flat. It has (i believe) and Edge Pro-II trem system.

Currently it is in standard tuning, but since a setup is required, I'm going to use the opportunity to change it to open C tuning.

The problem I have been having is when I tune the guitar... I can get through 5 strings and they hold their tuning well, but as soon as I try to tune the last string, the whole lot goes wrong.

There was a problem before with the Springs inside the guitar... they used to just slip right out (i guess the thread was broken). I believe it was fixed by matchsticks in a shop (the most expensive matchsticks I have ever owned! lol!)

Anyway, I'm gonna pull the guitar apart and have a go at not only getting it in tuning (open C) and make the bridge stay nice and flat too. Just bought some Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky strings (i ususally use D'Addario) which are 11 - 54 guage..

is there any useful advice, or tutorials I could look at to help me not screw my guitar up more than it already is?

thanks in advance!! :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Probably tuning down to open c you will need to relax the truss rod about 1/4 turn.

I would do this before setting the bridge as it will affect tuning.

no point in getting the bridge to float just right, finding you have buzz, adjusting the truss rod and having to do it all again.

Then you adjust the intonation and you have to do it all again....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably tuning down to open c you will need to relax the truss rod about 1/4 turn.

I would do this before setting the bridge as it will affect tuning.

no point in getting the bridge to float just right, finding you have buzz, adjusting the truss rod and having to do it all again.

Then you adjust the intonation and you have to do it all again....
As for the truss rod... never tried adjusting one before... Most places I read about adjusting this recommend 1/8th of a turn... I don't really know what I'm looking for, or what to look out for. pretty worried about breaking something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts