Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What Seymour Duncan Humbuckers do you all like?  Good, bad experiences with them?

I was just interested in picking up a Duncan Custom (SH-5) pickup for my fender strats bridge position.  I currently have  Duncan Distortion in there, and It just isnt articulate enough for me.  It breaks up a little to much.  Has any one tried the Custom in a guitar and liked it (or disliked it)?  If so, why did you like, or dislike it?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Seymour Duncan humbuckers....

I played the SD Pearly Gates (in the neck position) and I really liked them. I would like to ask the question - Has anyone installed them into a Jem7VWH (neck position and retained the Evo in the bridge)? If so what were the results?
Out,
Gregory

·
Registered
644 Posts

I personally prefer the JB model....SH-4 I believe....sounds great, and can do it all....for instance, Jeff Beck uses em, and so does Stephen Carpenter from the Deftones....if that's not enough tonal versatility, I don't know what is....

·
Registered
971 Posts

Favorite pickups from Duncan:

JB - bridge or neck, sounds fantastic in both
Alnico II - neck, wish it came in 7 string :(
Jazz - amazing in the neck position 6 or 7 string
Full Shred - if you gotta have a high output bridge pickup, this is the Duncan one to get.

I'm putting a JB7 and a Jazz7 in my RG7CT, they are on the way. :)

As a side note, Duncan is making all pickups wound-to-order now. So they don't make it until you order it. Takes a little longer, but you get a fresh pickup, which I think is pretty neat. :)

·
Registered
520 Posts

I really like the Pearly Gates. I have a JB in the neck position of my Les Paul.. But I leave it at 90% tap (did funky electronics myself:)) almost all the time, I find the tone it gives combined with the mahogany is just too dull. If I had to do it again, I would've ordered the Jazz model; it's really not that jazzy, but REALLY articulate.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts

I had a JB in my bridge position for a year or so then got a demon. IMO the demon has just enough mid to overpower the JB without sounding harsh, so now I'm using the demon on my 2 RG-550's which gives me clarity yet some chunk when I need it. Also recently I discovered how well it does at S#!t-kicker music, in the between and tapped poitions its a great all around P/up.
Bamm

·
Registered
170 Posts

I have a Jazz 7 in my neck position and Custom 7 in my bridge position of my custom 7 string.

I might add that I may never pick up my other 7 dimarzio ladened 7 strings!!!

Well that is a little extreme...but I have been lost in a tonefully delicious world. The build of the guitar has a lot to contribute to it in my real opinion...because I used Seymour Duncan JB and Distortion in an old RG550 for experimentation and hated the way they sounded, I switched to FRED and Evolution instead, and major difference. I think the pickups should be selected well for the body they are going into.

The Jazz gave me a whole new scape of clean sounds because of how even and clear it is...I am pretty amazed by it. And the custom has very nice distortion and drive to it that just complemented the Jazz. Pete Flynn who set up my guitar, also did a beautiful balancing job of making my middle selection switch carry out a VERY brilliant mix of the Jazz and Custom....it really sounds like a single coil on serious caffeine!!!

I'm a Seymour Duncan fan now. I'm actually looking to modify a Universe of mine by removing the single coil in the middle, filling the space in with block wood, and just use the humbuckers, I want to experiment with more seymour duncans.

:cool:
My 2 Cents

·
Registered
366 Posts

And about Hot Rails ? Does anyone here tried this in a strat bridge ? I know, i know, it's a single in space, but it's like a humbucker too.......

(Edited by LGMT at 12:50 pm on Nov. 1, 2001)

·
Registered
971 Posts

I had a full set in a Strat a long time ago.

They sound really good, but not really "stratty". Not as much of a single coil sound, but it doesn't hum as bad either. Kind of a trade off. :)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts

You may also want to check out Carvin's twinblade. Similar to a Hot Rails, but probably less output. Maybe halfway between a Hot Rails & a Cool Rails. Also, half the price of a Duncan or DiMarzio.

·
Registered
133 Posts

I have a Duncan custom in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck of my Les Paul. The custom just kills! The Jazz sounds soooo good in the neck. I personally wouldn't put a Duncan in a Strat style guitar. IMO Duncan's sound much better in neck thru's and guitars with heavier wood like Les Pauls, SG's, Flying V's, etc. I think Dimarzio's are better suited to a strat style guitar IMO.

·
Registered
376 Posts

i've never been that impressed with hot rails myself i had the in my steinberger with a bridge custom humbucker which i was never mad on ..........

I changed it for an Invader which i love tone wise (or lack of tone wise hahahahah) it has a great thick sound it is a bit harsh though.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts

Alot of the tone depends on the combination of the wood and the pickup. I use a SD Custom in the bridge of my 2 ash body guitars with Floyds (1 Robin and 1 ESP) and I love it! It's probably my favorite pup. It would probably sound good in a basswood body too becasue it is clear and articulate yet still pretty powerful. I've never played a Steinberger, but the lack of a body, i.e. wood mass, would make me think I would want something like an EMG, a good generic tone that doesn't rely as much on other factors.

$0.02,
Roger

·
Registered
363 Posts

i use the JB7 in the bridge position of my 7620s, it gives a great metal crunch with the basswood bodies, and i use the Duncan Custom 7 in one of my 540S7s, it gives a warmer and rawer crunch with the thin mahogany body.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts