Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm relatively new on installing pickups and etc... and I wanted some input on which of these 2 pickups do you guys prefer. I'm interested in hooking up one of these pickups into my fender mustang, but im not sure which of these i should choose. Any opinions or feedback would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Ed

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
What sounds do you like? I prefer the JB - it's one of my fave bridge pickups. But for LOTS of gain, the distortion has a little more (and is brighter). IIRC, they're the same coils; the JB has an A5 magnet, the distortion has a ceramic.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
JESTER700 said:
IIRC, they're the same coils; the JB has an A5 magnet, the distortion has a ceramic.
Are you thinking of the Duncan Distortion? The Dimarzio has a much deeper magnet, and fat allen pole pieces, so it's more like having two rows of slug coils, not a slug and screw pole.

The Dimarzio is going to be more compressed, and it's thicker sounding. It has less dynamics than the JB. (I just got a JB I'm going to sell by the way) I much prefer the Super Distortion, but they're both good. It's kind of like the JB is a girl screaming in a scary movie, and the Super Distortion is a guy shouting at a football game. :)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
frankfalbo said:
Are you thinking of the Duncan Distortion? The Dimarzio has a much deeper magnet, and fat allen pole pieces, so it's more like having two rows of slug coils, not a slug and screw pole.

The Dimarzio is going to be more compressed, and it's thicker sounding. It has less dynamics than the JB. (I just got a JB I'm going to sell by the way) I much prefer the Super Distortion, but they're both good. It's kind of like the JB is a girl screaming in a scary movie, and the Super Distortion is a guy shouting at a football game. :)
Oops! Yes, I WAS thinking of the Duncan D. NOW it makes sense what jra said about the distortion... I disagreed with him, but it was because I read the question wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.