Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new set of pickups with more diversity than my current EMG 81/85 setup. I currently play a Washburn X50 Pro FE straight into a Peavey ValveKing, and while both are far from perfect, it is a setup I am very happy with and love some of the sounds I can acheive.

The EMGs handle the no nonsense metal stuff very well (somewhere between Killswitch Engage, Black Dahlia Murder, August Burns Red and In Flames), but the problem is that while this is a strong element in the music, it maybe only accounts for 40% of what I do. I have found that the EMGs are useless for clean interludes, spacey jazz sections, mathy Dillinger Escape Plan like parts, and I also find there is a distinct lack of clarity or balance when playing large chord shapes.

The Seymour Duncan set containing the SH-4 JB and SH-2 Jazz looks to be a great option. I am a strong believer that the lower the gain, the higher the clarity, so even when playing melodic death metal, I like to play with relatively low gain to keep things sounding tight, as long it does not get to the stage where the tone sounds too weak. Having this mindset, I think I am willing to sacrifice some of the balls to the walls beef EMGs have for riffing, in order to acheive a more cutting, precise and all round better tone the Duncans seem to offer.

Any advice you could offer on the subject would be great, or any alternatives you could suggest (The Dimarzio D Activators look to be another possibility). Thanks :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Looking for a new set of pickups with more diversity than my current EMG 81/85 setup. I currently play a Washburn X50 Pro FE straight into a Peavey ValveKing, and while both are far from perfect, it is a setup I am very happy with and love some of the sounds I can acheive.

The EMGs handle the no nonsense metal stuff very well (somewhere between Killswitch Engage, Black Dahlia Murder, August Burns Red and In Flames), but the problem is that while this is a strong element in the music, it maybe only accounts for 40% of what I do. I have found that the EMGs are useless for clean interludes, spacey jazz sections, mathy Dillinger Escape Plan like parts, and I also find there is a distinct lack of clarity or balance when playing large chord shapes.

The Seymour Duncan set containing the SH-4 JB and SH-2 Jazz looks to be a great option. I am a strong believer that the lower the gain, the higher the clarity, so even when playing melodic death metal, I like to play with relatively low gain to keep things sounding tight, as long it does not get to the stage where the tone sounds too weak. Having this mindset, I think I am willing to sacrifice some of the balls to the walls beef EMGs have for riffing, in order to acheive a more cutting, precise and all round better tone the Duncans seem to offer.

Any advice you could offer on the subject would be great, or any alternatives you could suggest (The Dimarzio D Activators look to be another possibility). Thanks :)
Hi I personally think that high-gain pups are subjective. I'm an old school metal player myself and have an axe fitted with a SD Distortion and an SD Jazz and another fitted with an SD Alnico II and SD Screamin' Demon. I leave duistortion to the amp and pedals and what I can see is that I love SD's natural rawness and the dostortion puts out quite nicely in hi gain situations.

Regards,
Nelson

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
You should try the 18V mod for your EMGs first. Two batteries give you much more clarity and clean headroom. Wire 3 9V battery snaps together, with black connecting to red (from memory thats correct) wires. Connect one snap to the snap in your guitar, and you have a harness ready for two batteries.

You may also need to lower your pickups a bit of you cannot get a good clean tone. Whilst you can put EMGs closer to the strings than passive pickups doesn't mean you should. You will lose clarity and clean tones if they are too close.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts