Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else a fan of oddly tuned guitars?

My current obsession is playing in DADFAD
And of course DADGAD for a quick rendition of Kashmir..

I realise that these are not very adventurous..
so i was wondering what ideas you guys had! as this isn't something
i'd previously played around with much.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
ADADGAD, on a seven string, absolutely KILLS for Tool-esq riffing, lots of suspensions with the occassional bone-crunching bits. :)

·
Registered
883 Posts
CGEGCE

Not too strange, it's a version of open Cmaj with the D tuned up to E instead of down to C, but I like the options created in the lower register. "Drop D" tunings sound kind of empty after awhile, so being able to incorporate a 3rd without inverting the root and 5th makes some really unique-sounding voices.

·
Registered
21 Posts
CGDEAG

i use NST with a crappy paul copy of mine, and i must say i like it alot, the range is wonderful - the reason i use it with a poopy guitar is that i dont want to mees up any of my good guitars, haha
to use NST you need a completely custom set of string gauges and a guitar that can handle it, it tends to twist up necks and guitars need some time before theyre "used to" NST some say even a year of playing a guitar in NST prepares it for the tuning.
Overall the tning is great, it lets me be creative without playing what i'm used to playing.the other thing is the chords, theyre incredible! all the voices with the wide range will just blow you away

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
For the time being, man, try DADGAD. It's a traditional fingerstyle tuning, believe it or not, used in a lot of celtic and world music.... but, give it a try with a bit of gain, and you'll see what I mean. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts