Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on evilbay today and saw a s470 that the guy said that he shaved the frets. What is the benifit of doing this? From the look of the guitar he had no idea what he was doing so I wouldn't be shocked if he just did it for no reason

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The post said that it has the lowest action possible because of the shaved frets, so I don't think that was his goal lol

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
They come with jumbo frets normally, and it appears that he had them taken down to a more vintage style fret size. The problem with that will be if they have any kind of fret wear and they start buzzing, you wont have much room for fret dressing, which means you would most likely have to do a refret at that point. Not positive, but a healthy guess in my opinion.

Id personally get one of the korean s470's, but thats just me

·
Vendor
26,493 Posts
Shaved would usually refer to exposed fret ends from shrinking wood. But only he knows what he really means. Ask him ;)

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
They come with jumbo frets normally, and it appears that he had them taken down to a more vintage style fret size. The problem with that will be if they have any kind of fret wear and they start buzzing, you wont have much room for fret dressing, which means you would most likely have to do a refret at that point. Not positive, but a healthy guess in my opinion.

Welcome back, buddy!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts

Welcome home buddy :wub:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts