Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if this has been posted before, but it's mind-boggling:

If a better guitar player than Shawn Lane has ever walked upon this earth, than i've yet to hear him (or her!) :)
peace

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
That was much better than most of the stuff I've seen of his. A lot of the clips of him floating around are just mindless shred. That's what Chris Impelinotaste is for ;)

I think I need one of them there Vigiers now :lol:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jim777 said:
That was much better than most of the stuff I've seen of his. A lot of the clips of him floating around are just mindless shred. That's what Chris Impelinotaste is for ;)

I think I need one of them there Vigiers now :lol:
Haha, "Impelinotaste"- that's awesome!! (and so true)

And yeah, i went out and got myself 2 of them there Vigiers ;)
peace

·
Registered
592 Posts
And incredible musician.

Its sad to me that his name and shred as used in the same sentence. He was a scary fast player but no shredder. WAYYYY beyond shred in his musicality and one listen to Powers Of Ten, The Tri-tone fascination etc shows that.

Sorry on my soap box there but Shawn (like his music or not) was a musical genius and shred is never genius in my book (tho of course you could percieve the label shred differently).

Its a pitty that the majority of players just think of his name and think of fast playing (the ones that havent heard that much or his music) coz one things for sure Shawn wasnt about that.

A poor quality vid but a great track.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
The problem with Shawn is that he had such a stunning technique, that the best way to get people to notice him is to show them one of the more insane clips, which, taken out of context, might make him seem like a mindless shredder (though what he did was way beyond the usual sweeped arpeggios business).

He was, in fact, a very versatile musician and a good composer/songwriter - and one of the few western guitarists to really tap into the carnatic tradition (maybe not in the way John McLaughlin did, but he did sound very natural in that musical context). And the music he did with Jonas Hellborg and Jeff Sipe, who are also absolutely top musicians, are outrageous...

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
I'm not knocking him,but the stuff posted on here does make him look like a mindless shredder!! Satch is my god coz of the music he creates,whether its 1 mph or 1,000 mph.This guy seems to me like he has unbelievable technique,but i've yet to hear something that touches me inside.Just my opinion guys,sorry!!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
andy7jem said:
I'm not knocking him,but the stuff posted on here does make him look like a mindless shredder!! Satch is my god coz of the music he creates,whether its 1 mph or 1,000 mph.This guy seems to me like he has unbelievable technique,but i've yet to hear something that touches me inside.Just my opinion guys,sorry!!
Well - how much have you heard? Of course there is no reason why it should touch you inside, as it's a very personal thing - but try at least giving "Powers of Ten" a spin. It's out-of-print, so you could even download it from somewhere and not feel too guilty...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts