Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my S570 had dead frets at the 1st & 2nd frets. Stuck two more shims under locking nut,still dead as hell......elsewhere? plays beautifully.Any ideas,please?

·
Vendor
26,484 Posts
It probably has scarf-joint-itis and is in backbow from 3 to the nut. You should be able to see it. There is no easy cure, take it out of the frets, or pull the frets and level the board.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
It probably has scarf-joint-itis and is in backbow from 3 to the nut. You should be able to see it. There is no easy cure, take it out of the frets, or pull the frets and level the board.
A ha, this is exactly what's wrong with my FP neck. You see the standard smooth neck bow from the 9th fret, then you can clearly see the 2nd fret as basically flat with the 3rd and the 1st fret lower. On my guitar I was able to make the open notes ring cleanly and there are no problems when fretting at the second fret, but the G, B and D strings are all dead when fretting at the first fret.

There is some wear on the first fret, so it seems like a new fret there plus taking a bit out of the second should help. In your experience, if I took some material off the 2nd fret, would I just move the deadened note up a step, or does the fact that the neck starts to bow naturally again eliminate the problem?

·
Vendor
26,484 Posts
FP's usually have tall enough frets you can true with just a stressed level. I'd never attempt to do just one or 2 frets though.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
pretty funny you posted seconds before my post saying probably the scarf bow but ask rich to make sure. lol i read your site too many times.

·
Registered
479 Posts
so is that why the newer ibanez necks don't have a scarf joint? My newer 2006 RG has a 3 piece, no scarf. My older 2000 neck, which I prefer the profile of, has a scarf. Are all the newer necks scarf free???

A

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The newer necks are multipiece, as opposed to one piece necks. They resist twisting better and are much stronger than the old necks. The fact they're laminate construction also means they no longer need to use a scarf joint, which is good, because they're stronger that way.

Some argue a loss of resonance, but I think thats bull.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts