Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I jsut sold a guitar and the buyer is in Switzerland, he mentioned wiring me money using a bank transfer as a means to pay for it. I'm ok with that, but I was wondering how safe it is. I have never done that and I would assume I would have to give my bank acct # to a complete stranger.
Has anyone done this, and how safe is it?
Thanks

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
elcid said:
Hey all,
I jsut sold a guitar and the buyer is in Switzerland, he mentioned wiring me money using a bank transfer as a means to pay for it. I'm ok with that, but I was wondering how safe it is. I have never done that and I would assume I would have to give my bank acct # to a complete stranger.
Has anyone done this, and how safe is it?
Thanks
If you are unsure, talk to your bank about what options you have if anything goes wrong.

Regards

André

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I did it, but I was receiving funds from a reputable company, not an individual. There shouldn't be any harm in giving your account number out (you do every time you write a check), but the problem lies in the bank's security or the thoroughness of the person(s) receiving the payment. Theoretically for anyone to remove funds from an account, they have to prove they're the account's owner. But that happens too rarely these days. I've accidentally sent a check made out to my church to my credit card company. They cashed it. I wrote a check to a pizza joint with the wrong pizza place's name on it. Cashed. My credit card says "please ask for ID" in lieu of my signature. Guess how many salespersons ask for my ID.

On the plus side, unlike paypal, I wasn't charged to receive a wire transfer.

Having said that, the advice to speak with your bank is a good suggestion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.