Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ibanez WTF!!! Ibanez plain box with NO packing and NO outside box to help protect the guitar/case is simply unacceptable! the only thing their shipping boxes protect from are from getting scratches on the case. that is pointless if the latches get bent (mine won't close perfectly on one latch because of this poor packing!) which to me is far more important. i love the newer cases (Team JC) and was/am sooo pissed that it is bent/dented at one latch right out of the box! i took it to a guy i know that fixes these things and he just scratched his head and told me a couple alternatives to deal with it but not how to reslove the bent case and latch.
does Ibanez ship out ALL their guitars this way??? disgraceful! this is sick.
please online vendors, use an outside box with a little padding around the Ibanez box - add an extra $20 to the price - it is worth it.
i bought an Explorer from an online store and it was double boxed for protection and it arrived safe and sound.
now once that effort has been taken to double box the guitar, UPS leaves your prized, expensive new guitar on your doorstep!!! it is maddening - seems like noone wants you to get your guitar safely :(

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
very cool! i forgot that i was soo close! now i just need to make it to Jemsfest and become a contributor;)

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
My 7vwh that I got in 2000 was shipped in nothing more than a cardboard box...no case...no nothing. At least you got a case. Also, and I've said this a million times here.....it took nearly 9 months. Great guitars......terrirble shipping / service - that's Ibanez:mad:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
i recently bought an rg1570 from eric's guitars. it was basically just the team j craft case inside a heavy duty cardboard box, but box was of generous proportions and filled with those little foam peanut thingies.

i suspect i could've dragged it behind my car without damaging it.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
damo7v said:
i recently bought an rg1570 from eric's guitars. it was basically just the team j craft case inside a heavy duty cardboard box, but box was of generous proportions and filled with those little foam peanut thingies.

i suspect i could've dragged it behind my car without damaging it.
i didn't have the foam peanuts in mine :(
the Team JC case left no room for extra packing - i'm sure Eric would have if there was room. i don't blame him at all - i blame Ibanez for shipping it out that way in the first place - the damage could have been caused before he got it and unless it was very closely inspected it might be missed upon inspection. Eric is a good guy and very recommended - prices and service are awesome!

·
Vendor
26,705 Posts
If you worked in a store you'd know, nobody does anything different. In fact the shipping boxes Ibanez uses are the best I've seen from any manufacturer as far as thick double wall construction. Will they eliminate any bruises from getting to the case with rough treatment? Of course not! But the case has done it's job and it become a shipping CLAIM at that point.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Rich is right. You should see how Fender, Washburn, Gibson, ect. ship their guitars. Most of the time it makes Ibanez's packing look good!! For the most part, things arrive damage free. Sorry to hear that you were the exception to the norm.
Josh

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you guys are right - i shouldn't seem like i'm picking on Ibanez.
Martin gets a thumbs up for packing - they heat seal the guitar (in the case of course) with thick plastic almost like a blister pack to a piece of cardboard and then pack it in a very large, oversized, thick box. this is for MOST of their guitars - not all. others are in a "guitar shaped" box packed in an outer box if it isn't shipped in a case.
i guess i am miffed that i take a lot of time to ship out guitars/gear and i've never had a problem with shipping problems due to my packing but large companies figure the extra expense of better packing is too much compared to possible damaged returns.
i recently experienced a UPS issue with a hammer sized hole that went thru the shipping box, packing, wood Ibanez case and a beautiful J-Custom. of course that has nothing to do with packing and shows you can take ALL possible steps to protect your stuff and s*** can still happen beyond your control. i just cringe to think how some of this stuff is handled:(
ALWAYS pay for insurance and even OVER-insure when possible.
*UPS is trying to fix the situation properly and timely - we'll see how it goes.

·
Vendor
26,705 Posts
NEVER overinsure an international shipment, duties are based on this and declared value!!

I pack appropriate to what I'm shipping. Guitars that are prone to shipping damage [UV777's, JS's in the new J Craft case, old block joint JEM's, etc.] are bubble wrapped and packed in a larger box to avoid these shock/damage issues. New guitars aside from those mentioned are shipped in their original shipping boxes. Molded cases will always be prone to metal band deformation from rough treatment of the package, but it's the guitar inside that is being protected and damge to the case is a claim issue, after all it's done it's job and protected the contents. Expensive guitars get uber packing in big boxes and are charged accordingly. I just charged $60 for a DNA headed to the West Coast, good padding, big box, and with shippers size is money. International shipments are EXTREMELY size sensitive for UPS/FEDEX/GXG where an extra 1" of box can cost you $20 alone [multiply that by multiple inches!]. And you may say now "charge me an extra $20..." but if you got charged that extra $20 every time you'd soon be complaining about the high costs of shipping ;)

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Rich said:
If you worked in a store you'd know, nobody does anything different. In fact the shipping boxes Ibanez uses are the best I've seen from any manufacturer as far as thick double wall construction. Will they eliminate any bruises from getting to the case with rough treatment? Of course not! But the case has done it's job and it become a shipping CLAIM at that point.
Well Rich....I tell you that in 2000 mine came in a cardboard box with NO case and NO packing. I went balastic when I saw a beautiful 7vwh in a box. Is this just a freak event or something? Everybody else seems to get a case with theirs. Or was it because they weren't including cases in 2000??? :roll: The set-up was terrible too:mad: Maybe somehow I have pissed off the Ibanez god or something.....best get to praying:lol:

·
Vendor
26,705 Posts
JJEMMER777 said:
Well Rich....I tell you that in 2000 mine came in a cardboard box with NO case and NO packing. I went balastic when I saw a beautiful 7vwh in a box. Is this just a freak event or something? Everybody else seems to get a case with theirs. Or was it because they weren't including cases in 2000??? :roll: The set-up was terrible too:mad: Maybe somehow I have pissed off the Ibanez god or something.....best get to praying:lol:
Blame the dealer and yourself. Cases were only included if the dealer included them in the price. It was your responsibility to ask and be sure when you bought it if you wanted it cased. Otherwise the dealer doesn't care and is going to ship it the same way it was shipped to him.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
When I ordered my 7VSBL and UV1000 case from MF during the $999 blowout sale, the Jem was shipped double boxed. The Ibanez corrugated box w/ foam wrap around the guitar, was surrounded by packing peanuts inside a larger box. The UV1000 case shipped in another box by itself. You'd think that the folks at MF would stop and unbox the guitar and ship it in it's proper case? No!!

For those unable to be at home when the guitar arrives, have it shipped to your work address. I make it a condition of the sale. If an e-bay seller demands shipment to a confirmed paypal address, I ask if they'll be flexible on that issue before I bid. I'll provide references from other paypal sellers if necessary. I even have a photo edited from 2 separate pics, of me standing in front of my house and my building at work, with the street numbers visible in each pic. If they're not willing to budge, I take my business elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Rich said:
NEVER overinsure an international shipment, duties are based on this and declared value!!

I pack appropriate to what I'm shipping. Guitars that are prone to shipping damage [UV777's, JS's in the new J Craft case, old block joint JEM's, etc.] are bubble wrapped and packed in a larger box to avoid these shock/damage issues. New guitars aside from those mentioned are shipped in their original shipping boxes. Molded cases will always be prone to metal band deformation from rough treatment of the package, but it's the guitar inside that is being protected and damge to the case is a claim issue, after all it's done it's job and protected the contents. Expensive guitars get uber packing in big boxes and are charged accordingly. I just charged $60 for a DNA headed to the West Coast, good padding, big box, and with shippers size is money. International shipments are EXTREMELY size sensitive for UPS/FEDEX/GXG where an extra 1" of box can cost you $20 alone [multiply that by multiple inches!]. And you may say now "charge me an extra $20..." but if you got charged that extra $20 every time you'd soon be complaining about the high costs of shipping ;)
Man, I remember in March of 04 when I ordered my 1570L from you. Regular post and when I went to pick it up, it was in a pretty big box full of peanuts covering the case/guitar. Can't remember if there was anytthing besides the peanuts in the box, but man did I ever feel sorry for the 5 foot 6'' woman draggin me my guitar from the back unloading area of the post office :D

·
Vendor
26,705 Posts
UPS shipment or Postal? Heavily undervalued? The more undervalued the better I pack for the customers protection of course. And Canada doesn't cost much more than US, not like shipping to Poland or something ;)

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
my guitar arrived safe and sound so i suppose the case did its job.
Rich, do you have any thoughts on fixing a bent band around a molded case and a bent latch? is removing the interior an option? i'm kinda nervous to do that. thanks for any help here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.