Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all, just wondering how much pull back you get on your edge pros, as i seem to get sod all on mine without the strings snapping lol.

I remember Vai said something about preffering edge's to edge pro's as the original pulled back more or something.

Cheers

Kev

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
it really shouldn't have as much to do with the bridge as it does with how much wood is (or isn't) behind the bridge.

I can pull up around a 4th.

I don't really understand what "get sod all" means.

~Kenny

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Kenny - it means "I can't get any" or "I can hardly get any"...:lol:
Maybe the design of the inserts prevents Edge Pro from offering the same pullup range as the Egde/Lo Pro - they have their saddle string guide as a groove and the Edge Pro has an insert but someone like Rich (only because he's setup numerous edge pro guitars by now) might be able to tell you if they pull up the same amount or if they snap strings sooner.

ilia

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
i can get a 4th, even a 5th, of pull-up out of my edge pro. on a properly set up rg, you should have the same amount of cavity behind the bridge regardless of jem/rg. lion's claw is cosmetic.

just a thought: are your strings old? they lose their elasticity.

maybe you need to check for burrs on the saddles. are the strings locking into the bridge properly?

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
damo7v said:
you should have the same amount of cavity behind the bridge regardless of jem/rg. lion's claw is cosmetic.
There is definitely less wood behind the bridge of a Jem than there is behind the bridge of an RG.

~K

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully, Rich maybe able to shed some light on this if he sees it.
I just seem to feel if i pull the arm back hardly any at all it is real tight, and i tried it before and a string snapped.

Any chance of anyone making a video of how far you can pull back?
I also remember hearing of Vai being able to pull back so far that the strings cling tight to the fretboard!

Cheers,

Kev

·
Vendor
26,498 Posts
With fresh strings [09's] and a setup inteded for pull up the range can be extreme. With old strings expect to break them. If they're feeling extremely tight them something else is up, different gauge, spring shock, etc..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts