Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! This is my first post here, though I've been reading the forum for some months.
I'm planning to get a 7 string Ibanez, the problem is that I don't know which one. I have about 1000 euros to use, and I've been thinking of the following options:

1) A new RG1527. This would have the new trem, but I don't like the look of this one, and the pickups are not as good as on the UV.

2) Get a used UV777bk or UV7bk. I think this would be a great choice, but the problem is that these are extremely hard, if not impossible to find in Finland. If I decided to buy used UV, I should order it from USA, and because of taxes and toll fee, I could be too expensive. And besides that, it would not have the new edge-pro trem like a new UV would have.

3) Spare another 1000 euros and get a new UV777bk. This would be a great choice too, but with another 1000 euros I could get two RG7-321's to be used as spare axes!

What do you think which would be the best choice? What are the main differences between RG1527 and UV777bk, besides the totally cool look of UV?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Welcome to the forum, T-MU !!!
Well, here's some differences between the UV and the RG...
For one, the UV has a single coil between it's humbuckers. Some people really enjoy having a single coil there... but honestly, i like the sound of a split humbucker just as much. And a single coil just gets in the way of my picking. Plus, i think the H-H configuration just looks better than the H-S-H. The RG7's have coil-split humbuckers in positions 2 and 4 of the switch.
The neck profiles are slightly different; the RG7 has an amazingly thin neck!!! I think it's great. Very flat fretboard radius, too. The UV has a slightly thicker neck profile with a very flat radius; to me, the UV has a more comfortable neck. But this may be because i'm used to playing on the 7-strings that i own, which all have a slightly thick neck.
The UV, no matter what model, will have better stock pickups than any RG7!
The UV guitars just have more character, if you ask me... there's just something magical about them, i can't explain it. In the looks, and in the feel, they just feel more special!
.... however, nothing is more special than a guitar that you've customized! And it just so happens that the RG7 is an excellent platform for customization!!! I'd actually feel bad about modding a UV.
I guess my conclusion is this... you could buy a UV, and be set. It will be amazing from the first time you open the case. Or, you could save a lot of money, buy an RG7, use the extra money for some mods { or at least some new pickups }, and have a guitar that's made exactly how you want it. I guess you could say that you could be happy with someone else's ax { the UV, which a lot of people own }, or be just as happy with something that you modified into something noone else has { a customized RG7 }.
I guess i should let it be known that i plan on owning both of these guitars someday, and that if i had the money, i don't know which i would get first...
I hope this offerred some insight!
Ben

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm really into those Shawn Lane kind of licks with insane intervals on one string, so a thin neck on RG7 would be nice. BUT I love the look and personality of UV's. Plus UV's come with case and video. Really a hard decision.

About customizing a RG1527, I don't quite have the skill (or tools) to do it. An easy way to make an RG7 look better would be to add a mirroring pickguard (like in UV777bk). Has anyone tried this? Has anyone added the middle pickup to a RG7? If I'll get one, I would consider these mods.

·
Registered
835 Posts
the 1527 in that blue/violet sparkle finish is scary, i cant stand it!

the universe has a neck that is more close to a rock than anything else, i cant stand it either...
try to find out a used white universe, the neck profile was nicer than the 777bk's

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
straymond said:
hey dude!

perhaps this guy still wants to sell his UVMC.
check out:

www.petterdahlgren.com

He lives in the states, but visits Norway frequently.
perhaps you two can work out a deal?

Ray
Regarding to his website, it seems that he'll keep his UVMC, and the finish on it was not exactly what I'm looking for... By the way, can you believe the prices in Finland, f.ex:

Ibanez RG 7-620 BK,GK,GN 1489 €
Ibanez RG270 BK 460 €
Ibanez UV777P BK 2481 €

Are the prices as high in other EU countries?

·
Registered
636 Posts
i thin all the mods on the 1527 would be pretty much the same as a 7620, adding a single coil and pickgaurd, this requires routing, and i guess theres been some horror stories. but unless u need a new rg for modding go with a 7620 id say, (that is if u choose and RG) but id say if u got the bux, get a UV. but try em both out.

·
Registered
835 Posts
guys... how huge are your hands??? the UV neck is not playable for me, though i dont think i have dwarf's hands... O_______O

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I've owned both a 7620 and a UV at the same time and I can tell you that the build quality of the UV is far far superior, as it should be. That being said, I actually think the 7620 sounded better through my rig. That guitar just resonates so well, through a clean tube amp it is just really really nice. My UV doesn't sound as good, it was a great playing guitar and distorted tones were monstrous, but clean it couldn't hang. Pickups would fix the issue I am sure. Sold the UV, still have the 7620....or pieces of it...it is being severly modified by Jeremy right now.

Regarding the hands thing...I have pretty big hands and actually like the feel of that extra width. It fits me better than a regular six. I've been playing my Jem7VWH exclusively while awaiting my modified 7 and I've gotten used to six strings again. I have also owned an RG2027 which has a great neck. I still prefer the extra beef of the UV neck. My modified RG7 will have a LA Custom Shop neck that has a UV profile to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts