Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I found a guitar which the current owner says is a RG1550 body with a RG570 neck. It seems to me that the body is a RG1550 BK, it has the pickguard, edge pro and look like a RG1550.
The neck isn't an RG1550, it doesn't says prestige and it has rosewood fretboard. You can clearly see the bubinga piece and for me it feels pretty similar than the one from my S470 '98 wizard. The headstock inscription says Japan and the serial number starts with F02 so it should be from 2002, for me it sounds like a 2002 super wizard, those came with RG570.

This guitar does not the original humbuckers, it has a paf pro and a steve special, and sound very good.

The guitar is in good condition except some painting issues, but giving this mix, would you go for it? It does not says prestige (headstock of a RG570 pre "prestigitation" to RG1570) but It sounds like a prestige to me.

What else should I look at?

Since it is not a "normal" series, how would you price it? The vendor has it at USD$800. In my country a new RG1570Z with case cost USD$1200 in the official channel and they also have the RG1450 (not available in US, has edge pro) at USD$1000 w/o case.

imageshack.eu/SMD
imageshack.eu/YMD
imageshack.eu/MMD
imageshack.eu/KMD

thanks a lot!!!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
An RG570 neck would normally be 56mm wide while the neck pocket for an RG1550 should be 58mm. I'd check the neck pocket to make sure there isn't a huge gap....

It can be rectified with shims, but I'd bring that up when discussing price if I was you...

Also check the neck bolts and make sure there are ferrules under the screws. In the last pic it looks like they are missing...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Since the 1550 has a thicker neck than the RG570 I can see why the person changed necks. Not a big difference, but it is noticeable. I have a RG1550 stock, and a spare RG550 with a bubinga neck. I was thinking of doing the neck change myself, but I don't like the paint on the body(PB), and I haven't decided how/if to change it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick resply, I will look for the ferrules. As I understand, giving the years of production the necks should match (56mm) RG150 was made between 2003 and 2004 acording to ibanez wikia. Although the current owner told to me that RG1550 neck was diferent than RG570, I saw in ibanez wikia that both guitars shoulg have super wizard, the only difference for them is the rosewood fretboard apparently.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Nice guitar. I'd be happy to have it myself. I prefer the Super Wizard over the Prestige necks....... except the '08 1527 neck Damien had.....what a dream.

Whatever RG550's in the same condition are selling for in Chile, that's the price you should pay. Less if you can get away with it. Aftermarket pickups do not raise the value of a guitar IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts