Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm keen to get another guitar, so I can play around with lower tunings, whilst keeping my main guitar in E standard.

I play a wide range of metal, including power, thrash,
death and doom/stoner, but have little interest in djent or nu-metal. A lot of my favourite power metal bands (e.g. Blind Guardian) use E♭ standard tuning, while stoner can be anything from Drop C to A.

I currently have an Ibanez XPT700 (Xiphos), which I love and got at a bargain price of £210 used, so that was an easy decision. This time around, I'm finding it much harder to choose something, because my local stores have very limited stock and I don't really know what I'm after. An RG would be a fairly safe option, as it would be similar to my Xiphos and I'm a fan of thin Wizard necks.

A 7-string could be fun, but I'm not convinced I would make use of the increased range and I'm concerned I might find the neck uncomfortably thick. If I get a 6-string, I believe a fixed bridge is a must for down-tuning, but even then I'm left with a much wider choice than with 7-string. I'm fairly convinced that I want HH pick-ups.

I don't have a strict budget, but wouldn't go much over £500 without good reason. Essentially, I'm after 'bang for buck'. I would rather save up for another six months, or get used instead of new, to get the best guitar I can.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
The transition from 6 to 7 isn't too bad. The low B or A is awesome to have. I don't like dropping a 6 string down because you shift the entire tonal range of the guitar down, as opposed to just extending the existing range of the guitar

·
Registered
117 Posts
My advice would be to test some out if your local shops have some available to get a feel of what your looking for if your budget limits you to just the one guitar (for starters).

I play metal & possibly share similar tastes from your description (more old school thrash though really), but like to have guitars tuned differently.

I bought a seven string & find while I do play it fairly often I am more of a six stringer but I do like to have the option for extra depth.

It is a little different when picking up originally but nothing that you can't get around. When swapping back to six string it just feels skinner that I had previously thought.... & some times go for a string that's no longer there ...doh!

I very picky about guitars and look around for a while before I buy & like to try them first.

Personally I would not advise you to buy new. If bang for quid is what you are after best value I have always found is second hand. You can buy virtually new guitars with massive savings if you are selective & have the patience to wait for something that is of interest.

All the best,

RG Bargie

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Yes, you should. Look at a used RG1527 or 7620, in your budget. And, if you want some pointers on using the extended range musically:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My advice would be to test some out if your local shops have some available to get a feel of what your looking for if your budget limits you to just the one guitar (for starters).

I play metal & possibly share similar tastes from your description (more old school thrash though really), but like to have guitars tuned differently.

I bought a seven string & find while I do play it fairly often I am more of a six stringer but I do like to have the option for extra depth.

It is a little different when picking up originally but nothing that you can't get around. When swapping back to six string it just feels skinner that I had previously thought.... & some times go for a string that's no longer there ...doh!

I very picky about guitars and look around for a while before I buy & like to try them first.

Personally I would not advise you to buy new. If bang for quid is what you are after best value I have always found is second hand. You can buy virtually new guitars with massive savings if you are selective & have the patience to wait for something that is of interest.

All the best,

RG Bargie
Hi RG Bargie,

Thanks for the advice. My problem is that I only have two nearby stores and neither has great stock for what I'm after. Decent selection of cheap beginner guitars and Fender/Gibson, but very limited choice for anything else. That leaves me relying on second-hand information to assist my choices.

Last time I bought a guitar, I narrowed it down to a Xiphos / Warrior. I managed to test a Warrior and an RG. I liked the RG's wizard neck and the look/feel of the Warrior, then happened to find an XPT700 for £210 used. Luckily for me, it has my favourite qualities of each guitar, rather than the opposite way around ;)

This time, I wanted a 'standard shape', but not a typical Strat / Les Paul. Pick-guards are generally a big turn-off for me and I prefer things that aren't totally generic. I tried a Schecter C1 Hellraiser a few years ago and wasn't a fan. I never seem to be in the right place at the right time to spot a bargain mid/upper-range RG/Soloist in a nice finish (in my fussy opinion).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

All the best,

RG Bargie
Now that I've bored you with a long (and retrospectively pointless) reply:

I've just bought a used S2170SE Prestige. Picking it up at the weekend :)

Not the best Prestige Ibanez has ever made, but it's better than I had anticipated being able to afford, looks amazing and it's an absolute bargain!

Looks like I'll scrapping my original plan, instead using the new guitar in E standard and the Xiphos in D standard etc. I'll stick with the Xiphos' D Activators, but seriously doubt I'll keep the Saber's stocks for any length of time. I had been thinking along the lines of an RG with BKP Warpigs / Nailbombs. Think that would work well in the S?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wow you don't hang about!

The answer was Yes then ... you should. lol:

Had I suggested a guitar I would have leant towards the previously recommended RG1527 in your range, but I suppose the that's all the by the by now.

I don't know much/have any experience with the S2170SE but it looks pretty cool. Enjoy.

Anyway looking forward to see a NGD thread!?

RG BARGIE

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow you don't hang about!
I wasn't actually in that much of a rush to buy, but I've always liked the look of the S series fell in love with this one as soon as I saw the ad.

As I still don't have a 7-string, at least I can make an excuse to buy another guitar further down the line ;)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Now that I've bored you with a long (and retrospectively pointless) reply:

I've just bought a used S2170SE Prestige. Picking it up at the weekend :)

Not the best Prestige Ibanez has ever made, but it's better than I had anticipated being able to afford, looks amazing and it's an absolute bargain!

Looks like I'll scrapping my original plan, instead using the new guitar in E standard and the Xiphos in D standard etc. I'll stick with the Xiphos' D Activators, but seriously doubt I'll keep the Saber's stocks for any length of time. I had been thinking along the lines of an RG with BKP Warpigs / Nailbombs. Think that would work well in the S?
I have an S2170FW, pretty good guitar if you ask me, i don't care if its a Korean Prestige as my main reason for buying it was that gorgeous top :p but anyway i actually like those IBZ/DiMarzio pups but we may have different tastes, please post an NGD thread when you get the guitar, here is a pic of mine:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have an S2170FW, pretty good guitar if you ask me, i don't care if its a Korean Prestige as my main reason for buying it was that gorgeous top :p but anyway i actually like those IBZ/DiMarzio pups but we may have different tastes, please post an NGD thread when you get the guitar, here is a pic of mine:

Nice! All three top options look great.

What tones would you say the IBZ pickups are well suited to?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wasn't actually in that much of a rush to buy, but I've always liked the look of the S series fell in love with this one as soon as I saw the ad.

As I still don't have a 7-string, at least I can make an excuse to buy another guitar further down the line ;)
A-ha, I see just looked at photo (assumed it was a 7 string - derr).

Anyway, back to your budget & what I have seen kicking around (good condition) have seen RG1527's (although these seem to be fetching a little more for some reason at the moment) & even a couple of k7's recently in the past couple of months.

RG Bargie

·
Registered
37 Posts
6-string to 7-string transition isn't bad.

When I was making my transition the way I found was the best to get accustomed to it was to just play every 6 string song you know on your 7. Learn them on the 7, get used to the bigger neck, get used to muting and playing around a new string. Maybe even take some big reaches from songs you had to do on the low E and move it to the 7th string instead.

I think it's definitely worth it if you already feel completely comfortable with a 6. The only way to get better at guitar is to put yourself out of your comfort zone.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
You know, they used to make a 7 string Xiphos, if you really like yours. Check them out. It's called the XPT707. It's just like yours except with a fixed bridge and another string.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm also considering a seven string. i've hardly even played one but i know how they feel. just wondering if it will expand the possebilities of songwriting with the added low B string.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
You should get one. I had an RG7620VK (which I really miss) and later bought an RG7321. I too prefer standard E tuning. Really the low B only offers a few more notes and a different path here and there on scale runs and a few new chords at the top. Where the seven REALLY adds flavor though IMO is the overall resonance of the guitar. Ignoring having an extra B string to play, the added string itself makes the guitar vibrate and sound differently overall.
I had to sell the RG7620VK to pay some bills but I still have the RG7321. I put a pair of Blaze pickups in it and switched it to .10's on the stings and it plays great and sounds beastly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts