Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some money for a couple of pedals at the moment, I already own and use a Boss SD 1 as a booster for my Laney TT50 Combo. After talking to a couple of other players and looking at the reviews on harmony central, the TS808 seems to be a fantastic booster. However, its quite expensive for a pedal I think. Tone wise, is it that different to the SD 1, cause I'm basically going to use the pedal as a booster, if the sound is similar to the SD 1 I wouldn't get it and use the money on something else like a Crybaby, etc.

thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well, since no one else has responded to your post i will, i dont know the TS808 but i am running a ts9 through to my laney tf300. It gives more gain and more of a tube driven sound (Hence the name) It also make it faster, if that makes any sense quicker to react, probably just clearer highs or something. So my experience with tubescreamers is very good, even without much distortion added, it adds quality to the quitar sound.
Hope that helps somehow.
Peace out.

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
I dumped my SD-1 for a TS-808ri and amd glad I did.
The 808 doesn't havea huge amount of gain but what I noticed is it does fatten up my tone quite a bit.
I got mine for $125 so they are out there for less than the $180 MF is trying to get for them.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I've tried them, but don't own one.
Kinda "thin" sounding to me...for that cash, I'd choose something with a 12AX7 tube in it for a "meatier" sound -especially when playing with a band.

Just my 2 cents........buy it if you like it. They are YOUR ears.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'd suggest a Keeley modded TS9(the one with 3x Gain) (or TS808 if you want less gain) but if you're on a budget it's probably not worth considering.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have a Maxon OD-808, which is identical to the TS-808. Its a very nice pedal, very quiet, but not real powerful (the 808's just dont have much gain, compared to other pedals)

It replaced my stock taiwan SD-1. That thing had a nice creamy sound, but it was so noisy it was unusable. Cheap components. I hate Taiwan Boss.

Although, I messed around with the Ibanez TS-9 and TS-808RI, and I found the TS808 re-issue to sound identical to my Maxon OD-808.

But, to my surprise, I flipped on the TS-9 and LOVED IT. The 808's have a subtle gritty, sandy sort of texture. The TS-9 doesnt have this, its very smooth, and I think it sounds more like a tube amp then the TS-808. Its also got a bit more gain (I think) and its much tighter and more defined, especially on the high end.

I dont know why people want to mod their TS-9's into TS-808's. There are just too many people trying to cop the SRV tone, I guess thats why. I dont even think SRV has that good of tone. You can get it instantly with the maxon: Dime the Level and Gain, get a tube amp with a clean channel and a strat with decent pickups, and there you go! Warning - Chops required!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yeah, i prefer the TS9 as well.

Stick one in front of a 2203 or 2204 single-channel Marshall and it's heavenly!

They have got more gain but as i like LOTS of gain the Keeley TS9 Baked mod is the one for me.
It's basically the same sound as a stock TS but slightly improved and the 'baked' version has 3 x the amount of gain on tap, if you need it.:)

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
superhairycamel said:
Keeley modded, is this made by ibanez or do you get a mod to a ts9? because it would be nice to have another chunk of gain ready.
Go to www.robertkeeley.com to see his mods. he mods a TS9 to have more gain, a TS9DX for more gain, and a TS9 to sound like a vintage TS808 as well as making his own Java Boost pedal (pretty sick treble booster).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the replies, I got myself a TS808 reissue today and I don't regret it at all, its less gain than my Boss SD 1 but with the TS808 I get a smoother tone and also greater sustain

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
superhairycamel said:
Keeley modded, is this made by ibanez or do you get a mod to a ts9? because it would be nice to have another chunk of gain ready.
Robert Keeley will mod your existing TS9 or you can buy a brand-new pre-modded pedal from him(they are the original Ibanez pedals modified).
There's a few different versions he does but i think it's the 'baked' mod that has the 3x gain.

He's the guy who makes the DS-1se modded pedal that Vai,Satriani and Dave weiner (and many others!)use. Top quality effects!

·
Registered
882 Posts
I read in an article with Ibanez, in an old Guitar Shop magazine, that all of the Tube Screamers were identicle. They (Ibanez) said, that the only difference was the casing, and model number. Of course, in the Soundtank(and subsequent TonLok series, I sure) they did use cheaper componants, but even then, they were more or less the same.

They said that they sometimes just threw whatever they had lying around into them, so some were different. This is why they went through several, when they were doing the TS-9 reissue. They found the best sounding one, and modeled the new ones after it. Supposedly... ;)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The main differences in the standard Ibanez versions was supposed to be the op-amp chips.
I think some were made by Texas Instruments and the later ones by.......someone else (can't remeber who but somewher in the far-east).

I think there's about three or four different versions of the chip that you see in them all together.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would recommend getting a TS9DX modded by Keeley for the best of both worlds.

You get the stock TS9 mode in it... plus 3 other modes to play with... granted, the Turbo and Hot modes will most likely be seldom used but hell, you can specify with Keeley to make them less bassy so they will be more usable.

I did that... if you wanna hear some samples, i'll be glad to demo them to you... PM me... or add me to MSN or something... :)

EDIT: Forget to add, the Keeley TS9DX mod has an extra toggle switch to flip between his TS9 Phat mod and Baked mod... one is like a TS808 kind of gain stucture, the other is a TS9 with more hair mod... GREAT STUFF! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts