Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to sell my 1989 Ibanez JEM 777 VDY
Its in average condition, several dents/scrates but fully functional. Missing the original volume/tone knobs.
The main major flaw is that the body paint has faded from a bright UV Yelllow to a Orange/Yellow color.
Should I have it professionally repainted to its original condition or just sell it as-is at a discount?
Not sure which way make more sense financially.

Thanks for your comments.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Im always keen to refinish or repaint stuff but i would personally leave this one as it is. Quite a high value guitar and if the new paint job doesn't go to plan you may end up causing more harm than good.

I would leave it to any new potential owner to decide if they want to paint it or not, by the time you fork out the cash for a respray and setting up the guitar again the cost could add up quite quickly.

·
Registered
717 Posts
That looks hideous, I'd get it professionally painted and keep it. Ernie at ET Guitars seems to do some amazing work, judging by another thread on here but I'm sure there are plenty of others not so far from you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I posed this same question years ago with mine.
NGD '91 777 VDY
Pretty much the same consensus with the comments here.
I didn't refinish mine, and it hasn't changed in color at all since I got it. It's still a "Tonka truck" yellow. Polishing it with an automotive cut compound will help bring out the shine, but it doesn't brighten up the finish. I've grown to love it. The only thing I've done to it over the last couple of years was I purchased a new pickguard and put a set of neon pink Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon pickups in it and an SSL-5 for the single and of course used new pots and a switch and replaced the knobs and switch tip. I still have all the original stuff stored in the case. I play it quite regularly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your comments and advice. It seems like its the clear coat that has browned. Probably the warm/humid weather where I live. Anyway, I will probably clean it up as best as I can and sell it as-is for a good price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts