Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions, I am considering selling my VSBL.
I think the only reason I am keeping it is due to the looks, I think it is probably the best looking guitar I have ever seen (and I have had a JEM 10th).
I do not like the evo’s, they are way too harsh for me, the neck evo is not too bad but I hate the bridge one. I could buy some new pickups but they will set me back £200 for the one’s I want and I have just spent £80 on a set up and fret dress.
It plays nice but it’s not amazing, honestly, my favourite guitar to play in terms of feel alone is a Pacifica 112
I have 3 other HSH guitars, a Jem DBK which is my favourite guitar, a Jackson which is not great but my folks bought it for me and I could never sell it, and an RG550DY which I like because the maple neck offers a different playing experience .
I am thinking a HSS or HH guitar would offer something different in terms of sound and feel. I am thinking of an Anderson drop top classic for the HSS or a hard tail music man axis super sport (or maybe a vintage trem).
Despite all this, I know I would miss the VSBL. For me the looks are a big part of playing guitar, doesn’t matter how good a guitar plays or sounds, if the looks don’t turn me on then it’s a non starter.

Darren

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
They were made to be played, not just looked at. If it isn't doing it for you with the sound, get rid of it, or change the sound.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you like the looks of the VSBL, as well as the feel of the neck which is very important IMHO, don't sell it (unless you need the money). Just change the bridge Evo to something else. Many people here don't like bridge Evo (I do though) and you can find numerous threads about the very same topic.

The only thing I don't like about the VSBL is the blue vine inlay does not stand out. I wish they use a lighter blue or go back to pyramids.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Keep it, remember they aren't making them anymore, might be tough to find a good one in the future if you should change your mind.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
If it has a Lo Pro, id definetly keep it and swap pickups... The looks would go great with Paf Pros... i dont know, it always looked like a real classy, "vintagy" Jem to me... Never heard Pafs in alder tho...

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Dazza1004 said:
For me the looks are a big part of playing guitar, doesn't matter how good a guitar plays or sounds, if the looks don't turn me on then it's a non starter.

Darren
Hmmm....that's a strange reason to play8O So.....KEEP IT! I love mine...although I play it for the play-ability rather than the looks. As someone already said..they don't make um anymore.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
There is no way a well set up jem will play worts than a Pacifica 112. If you are inot Pacificas, try selling the VSBL and then buy a top of the line pacifica (either the old MIJ 1412 or one of the custom shop pacificas that are made in the USA). Mind you, the 1412 is extremely hard oto fin and its a neckthrough chambered guitar, so you should try it before you buy it (if you are lucky enough to find one). The custom shop yamahas are easier to get and are regular bolt on guitars (only that they look terrific!). ANother option would be the yamaha wellington custom (although its more like a Les Paul, it is a pretty good instrument), but this one is probably as hard to find as a 1412.

Dont buy the 1421, its by no means near the 1412.

I personally hate the look of the VSBL, so my advise is biased. I would definately sell that guitar and buy one of those.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
RCB said:
There is no way a well set up jem will play worts than a Pacifica 112. If you are inot Pacificas, try selling the VSBL and then buy a top of the line pacifica (either the old MIJ 1412 or one of the custom shop pacificas that are made in the USA). Mind you, the 1412 is extremely hard oto fin and its a neckthrough chambered guitar, so you should try it before you buy it (if you are lucky enough to find one). The custom shop yamahas are easier to get and are regular bolt on guitars (only that they look terrific!). ANother option would be the yamaha wellington custom (although its more like a Les Paul, it is a pretty good instrument), but this one is probably as hard to find as a 1412.

Dont buy the 1421, its by no means near the 1412.

I personally hate the look of the VSBL, so my advise is biased. I would definately sell that guitar and buy one of those.
I think you missed the point of his post. He's got it for the looks...and since you hate the looks of the lovely VSBL of course you are biased;)

JEMS RULE:)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
No, I dont miss the point, he says he is thinking of selling it for whatever reason. He even said he likes how a Pacifica 112 plays better.
His asking fo opinions about selling it or not.
I said, if you like Yamahas, sell it and get a very good one with the money. THEN I said Im biased because I happen to hate the looks of the VSBL (as a matter of fact the VSBL, the VWH, DBK, VSK and the VDY are the only jems I dont like.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
RCB said:
No, I dont miss the point, he says he is thinking of selling it for whatever reason. He even said he likes how a Pacifica 112 plays better.
I said, if you like Yamahas, sell it and get a very good one with the money. THEN I said Im biased because I happen to hate the looks of the VSBL (as a matter of fact the VSBL, the VWH, DBK, VSK and the VDY are the only jems I dont like.
Well...at least you don't dislike them all;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
well, if you don't like the guitar, sell it, no point of playing an instrument that you don't like, use the money to get something that you really like

·
Registered
124 Posts
RCB said:
You could sell it and get several yamahas for the money hehe.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
No, you could not. Custom shop yamahas go for around 1500-2000USD, and the last 1412 I saw on the internet (on a Custom Shop yamaha dealer) was sold for about 1500... and it was a used guitar (in very good condition, but used). It was sold for 1475 If I recall correctly.

So, if you want one of THESE Yamahas, you are lucky if you can get enough out of the VSBL to buy one of them.

Sure, you can get 3 to 5 (or even more) cheap yamahas (cheap RGX or RGZ, Pacifica 721, 1221, etc, etc). But the only point I see in selling a jem to get a Yamaha is if you go for one of the above mentioned

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
RCB said:
No, you could not. Custom shop yamahas go for around 1500-2000USD, and the last 1412 I saw on the internet (on a Custom Shop yamaha dealer) was sold for about 1500... and it was a used guitar (in very good condition, but used). It was sold for 1475 If I recall correctly.

So, if you want one of THESE Yamahas, you are lucky if you can get enough out of the VSBL to buy one of them.

Sure, you can get 3 to 5 (or even more) cheap yamahas (cheap RGX or RGZ, Pacifica 721, 1221, etc, etc). But the only point I see in selling a jem to get a Yamaha is if you go for one of the above mentioned
A friend of mine has an RGX and it is Made In Japan and a sweet guitar. He got it back in '89 and still has it. I dont think it's a cheap guitar at all. Maybe back then they weren't anyway. ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well I was refering to the pacificas. But I never knew about the Yamaha custom shop, so ya learn something new everyday :). Have never come across one before, so I'll keep my eye open in future, see if I can get a chance to try one.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If I recall correctly there were 2 RGX in the beggining. The RGX standard and the RGX custom. The standard I owned wasnt made in japan. It had a thick (very thick) carved and slightly figured (flamed) maple top and an ebny freatboard. the pups and electronics were lame to say the least, but the guitar wasnt that bad overall. I dont know if the RGX custom (wich was neckthrough and I think had Di Marzios) was made in japan. May be this is the guitar your friend has. I never tried it. If my memory doesnt fail me, most od the RGX and RGZ were made in taiwan in the 90s

By the way, all the custom shop yamahas Ive seen, and the 1412 are Pacificas.... just not your every day pacifica 8)

I think the current Custom Shop Pacificas are all made in USA and I know for certain that my 1412 was made in japan. My 1412 surpases my RG3120 and is only comparable to my jem10 and a couple of custom made guitars. The amount of work the 1412 has is just unbelievable.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Well the guitar is in argentina and Im in Mexico, the only pic I have of it its a group pic where you can hardly apreciate the details of the guitar. Here is the link (its the one between the RG3120 and the UVMC). Next month Ill be in argentina and i will take better pics of it.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v493/RCB/?action=view&current=SITE6.jpg

The guitar is a 5 piece neck thorugh body construction. The body is chambered. It has a carved flamed maple top, a layer of ebony, the middle of the body is made of mahogany, then there is another layer of ebony, and the back is mahogany. The chambers are in the middle of the body (mahogany) contained by the 2 layers of ebony. The ebony freaboard is bindded as the headstock (with a matching flamed maple layer). The inlays are splitted blocks with an abalone "Z" dividing the MOP blocks. The pups are Di Marzio.

Here is one for auction in europe with better pics, although not very good either), they are asking for 1450 euros, you have to enter the auction and then click in the "bekijk meer foto's " to see the better pics:

http://www.speurders.nl/search.php?sd=0&st=0&limit=40&title_descr=yamaha+pacifica+1412

Finally this is a description from a guy in harmony central:

"Action, Fit, & Finish: 10
I bought the guitar (actually 2 of them) used and they had been pretty well cared for since they were pretty high end instruments. Setting them up to get perfect string height and intonation was the easiest of any Floyd equipt guitar I have ever owned with the micro-intonation allens on the RM-Pro II floyd. The only thing I like better about the Ibanez floyds on the Jems is their lower profile - I think the intonation setup on this one is the best. The fretwork is just incredible - Japanese pefectionists showing their stuff. The wood selection is very good for what I paid but the construction technique used on this guitar is absolutely like no other guitar you will ever find, EVER - guaranteed - EVER. The 5 piece lam neck-thru is sandwiched in the body with a AAAA flamed maple cap that is beautifully sculpted ala PRS. The kicker is the solid mahog back is produced using the coolest sandwich construction technique that is highlighted with an ebony binder layer (showoffs ;-) It is something to behold."

·
Registered
314 Posts
pull that bridge evo out and stick a Steve Special in ;)
it'll save you the regret of selling a JEM..

the only guitar I ever regret selling is my JEM7VWH and since i've owned a Petrucci Musicman, Ibanez S540LTD, Ibanez RG1527, 72 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, 03 Gibson Les Paul Standard and a Music Man SUB1(seriously underrated guitar)

my RG7620 is arriving tommorow hopefully that will fill up the lack of ibanez-ness in my life got some Blaze's in the bitch ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.