Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 540PII H-H with original three way selector. I believe the IBZ USA F3 and F2 can be wired with split coil. I wonder if I can get more tonal versatility and a straty sound.

If it seems like a worthwhile idea, I would appreciate some guidance on wiring.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
It would make it sound twangy for sure. The middle position when both are split would even sound like a middle position of a telecaster as well. They are supposed to be DiMarzio pickups. Normally the black and white wires are soldered together, if you make the circuit with a push pull pot, use the push pull function to ground the black and white wires to split the coils. You can actually use a js1200/1000 wiring diagram for this. The tone pot (the one on the right in the diagram) is being used to split the humbuckers. In the satriani guitar the volume pot has a push pull to engage a 330pf capacitor used as a high pass filter. I just wire mine direct... if you want a high pass filter (aka a treble bleed circuit). They are a handy addition.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would make it sound twangy for sure. The middle position when both are split would even sound like a middle position of a telecaster as well. They are supposed to be DiMarzio pickups. Normally the black and white wires are soldered together, if you make the circuit with a push pull pot, use the push pull function to ground the black and white wires to split the coils. You can actually use a js1200/1000 wiring diagram for this. The tone pot (the one on the right in the diagram) is being used to split the humbuckers. In the satriani guitar the volume pot has a push pull to engage a 330pf capacitor used as a high pass filter. I just wire mine direct... if you want a high pass filter (aka a treble bleed circuit). They are a handy addition. View attachment 17339
Thanks, that's very useful. It doesn't have tone so I'd need to figure out how to remove that from the circuit. I like how they split the coils but that would mean I can't have a high pass which I was considering. Should it be a deal breaker, never used it before?

I guess I could go for a different selector. If it was a five way I'd lose one of the coil tap positions, not sure which would be least useful.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
No you can do it. All you need to do is use a push pull in place of your volume pot (no tone pot needed) solder the white and black wires just like it is shown on the tone pot in the diagram, but use your push pull for your volume pot. Wire everything else in going to your volume pot the same way it was in your guitar originally. Don't pay attention to the wiring at the tone pot it self. Just the split switch wiring on the bottom of the tone pot. When you apply ground to the black and white wires it bypasses them... or... Renders them silent.That's all this push diagram does, while the pot is pulled out it grounds the coils for both pickups simultaneously.

Then for the high pass filter... Just wire it direct like the picture attached. The high pass filter will always work this way. that way you wouldn't have to pull on the pot to engage it. That is how Steve Vai's Jem uses the high pass filter capacitor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a really clear explanation, all seems very doable and perfect if the capacitor is direct. Is that screen shot for the Jem?

I presumed, because of the push/pull action for the hpf, that it's desirable to disengage the hpf. Like I said, never used one. Does Vai just keep it engaged on the PIA do you think? Any idea what frequency cuts at?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
That is a screen shot from a Jem diagram, and no the PIA is now a push pull for the HPF. Not sure why he decided to do it that way, maybe he likes the option to not have it. Personally I used to use a push pull for the HPF but I would up always having the damn thing pulled out. So I just wire them direct now.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Honestly the HPF for me is like having a gain knob on your guitar instead of a volume knob. It's an incredible tool. I keep my high gain channel enabled almost all the time now... And just turn down, it cleans up so clear I almost don't use my clean channel on my amp anymore because the natural compression of the gain channel sounds nice turned down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely talked me into it. Is there anything I should watch out for when selecting the pot and capacitor or are they all much of a muchness?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Well, some pots have larger diameter mounting threads (the threaded section that the nuts screw onto) I always like using Bourns pots... But they have larger threaded sections than some. I have noticed that Ibanez guitars typically have smaller diameter threaded pots. However, there are multiple brands... Bourns is a great brand if you don't mind drilling the hole a little larger. If you do drill the hole larger, drill in small increments to avoid cracking/chipping your finish... And make sure the drill is moving before coming in contact with the surface being drilled. even if you have a pickguard. If you jump up too far you'll have your gaurd spinning out of your hand haha. If you have a local music store that has push pull pots in stock that would be the route best taken. That way you can feel how the pot feels while turning (meaning the effort it takes to turn) i personally don't care for a easy turning pot, I prefer a little resistance. And you can feel/hear the click of the push pull function. Some are loud and stiff. The Bourns are a smooth pull out and quiet click with a healthy spin resistance.

When it comes to the capacitor you want a 330pf, that is the value of the cap, different values give you less or more treble bleeding (less treble bleed the higher you go... Meaning it sounds warmer or... You lose more trebs the higher value you go rather than retaining the trebs you had at full volume). The style cap is called a ceramic capacitor. Normally if you buy them online you have to get at least 10. A local music shop near me has them in stock and they are like $.25 lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll dig around more on the pot. I'm keen to take your recommendation on the Bourns but I don't want to drill the hole wider. I wonder what pots are used on Ibanez. Unfortunately I don't have any stores local so I'll have to rely on buying online.

Definitely feel like I know how to go about it now. I really appreciate the effort you've made explaining it to me. Just need to figure out what pot to get, I'll check what diameter I already have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As a regular JS player +1 vote for adding the high pass filter at the same time. When I switch to my guitars that don't have it I do miss it.
I'm quite keen to do it now, the reassurance I needed was if 'always on' was going to be an issue but sounds like if you have it, you'd always use it anyway.

Found loads of 330pf ceramic capacitors but they have different voltage ratings from 3kV to 50V, does anyone know if it matters?

Can't see anywhere to get the Ibanez 3cp1j331 for sensible money

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Measured the thread diameter on my existing pot at 7.3mm. DiMarzio EP1201PP is for a 9.525mm. The Bourns are the same, I have a bad feeling that I will have to take a drill to it which I'm resistant to doing, it's been my baby for 28 years. I'm only tweaking it now so I can stop eying up the PIA, I don't really need one (just want one).

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm quite keen to do it now, the reassurance I needed was if 'always on' was going to be an issue but sounds like if you have it, you'd always use it anyway.

Found loads of 330pf ceramic capacitors but they have different voltage ratings from 3kV to 50V, does anyone know if it matters?

Can't see anywhere to get the Ibanez 3cp1j331 for sensible money
My favorite player is a heavily modded PGM100. It has no tone. Only a volume.
I replaced the pot a few years ago (used a Seymour Duncan one) and added a permanent HPF.

It's great. Really helps keep it bright as you roll the volume off, which with the right setup gives you great gain control. The single coil vs humbucker again helps do this.

I miss that fine control when I play my Les Paul.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
That's no big deal. Just keep in mind though Tron if you install a push pull POT and you have a push on style knob... if you ever need to remove the POT, chances are you will pull the stem right out of the POT since it pulls out to begin with. I've made the mistake of using a push on style knob and ruined a POT when I needed to remove it. So.... if you do want to be able to remove it easily, buy a knob (or maybe your guitar already has this) that has a set screw to lock to the POT stem.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.