Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Should Janick Gers be in Iron Maiden?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I'll say right off that I'm a long time maiden fan, and something that keeps cropping up when I'm talking about them is "how much Janick sucks" and how maiden "should just dump his ass". Comments like "sloppy guitar work" come up, you get the idea.

So, to all the maiden fans out there, what's your take on him? Do you think Iron Maiden would benefit without him, or is a now important ingrediant to mix?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I don't think it matters.

I admit that have never been sure of the rationale for keeping him whether he sucks or not. Once Adrian came back they should have dumped him, otherwise why didn't they keep Blaze Bailey when Bruce returned?

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
If he would just play rhythm then that would work. But yeah his solos are sloppy. But to have a three guitar onslaught live is pretty cool.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If he would just play rhythm then that would work. But yeah his solos are sloppy. But to have a three guitar onslaught live is pretty cool.
+1

Three guitars harmonies are amazing live! And Janick brings some freshness to the show with his crazy dances while the more focused Dave and Adrian lay their amazing musical touches.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
i'm a maiden fan for 22 years and I allways think that Gers is near-useless in this group
He got the A Smith job when Adrian go for his project (ASAP) but never played the role

After Smith return, unfortunately, he looks like useless !
My only one good advice with him is that he is punchy : bringing some big energy on stage, something that was missing in late'80 Maiden shows

but now, a third guitar, even if some pieces are written or adapted for it , doesn't work
he has not the precision/particularity of de Maiden's guitar playing

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I actually like him better than Dave...I think Maiden was very loyal to have kept him...He also has the ties with Bruce on his solo CD...

He was also on "Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors" by Fish, who is one of my all time favorite singers...He got the Maiden gig right after that. Two thumbs up for keeping him!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm not a big fan of his overall phrasing ability, and he has nowhere near the magical guitar mojo that Dave and Adrian have (particularly Adrian, he's my fav out of the three by a long shot). He isn't as precise or clean in his playing either, though I wouldn't call him sloppy.

That being said, he plays a pretty important part in the band. 3 guitar harmonies are cool :p

·
Registered
221 Posts
My god, Janick Gers should leave Maiden a long time ago!!!!! I really HATE when he ruin a GREAT solo of Adrian Smith (Hallowed by the name, for example), Adrian Should play EVERY solo that he creates.

·
Registered
221 Posts
i'm a maiden fan for 22 years and I allways think that Gers is near-useless in this group
He got the A Smith job when Adrian go for his project (ASAP) but never played the role

After Smith return, unfortunately, he looks like useless !
My only one good advice with him is that he is punchy : bringing some big energy on stage, something that was missing in late'80 Maiden shows

but now, a third guitar, even if some pieces are written or adapted for it , doesn't work
he has not the precision/particularity of de Maiden's guitar playing
Amen.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think Janick brings a lot of energy to Maiden. Some of my favourite songs are on the "Blaze" albums. Maiden is Heavy Metal. Above all metal is about the energy. It's not an instrumental progressive album you'd want to hear from Vai or the Satch or Dream Theatre. It's not about perfection it's about energy, awesome riffs and epic ****ing solos. Go look at the songwriting credits from Fear of the Dark on. Then say Janick doesn't deserve to be in the band. There is a whole lot of epicness coming from Janick Gers. Unless you're one of those douchebags who doesn't realise that Maiden has released anything since Seventh Son. Then you don't matter as you're a ****ing moron.

I think Adrian's playing is vastly over-rated. All his solos have this laid back lazy style. And it's great. It really does sound awesome (Children of the Damned for the win), but every now and again it's be nice if he'd write something with some energy in it. Or try some improv...

As for the sloppiness of Janicks playing:
Sure he's not Petrucci or Rusty Cooley but none of the dudes from Maiden are really super shredders on that level. Most guitarist I know (into that style of music) can play Maiden stuff without any trouble.

And Maiden seems to be loving him. What with him having been with the band for 20 years in less than a month.

·
Registered
199 Posts
According to Bruce Dickinson Dave and Janick have a similar Blackmore type sound and Adrian is the one who is the most distinguishable out of the three because he has a different style. Janick is kinda useless because he sounds like Dave and live he plays the parts that Adrian originally played on the records. When Adrian returned to the band he came up with new parts to play during the classics so to allow Janick to continue to play Adrian's parts.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts